Confused. Which Mavic wheels are right for me?

Finecactus
Finecactus Posts: 33
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
So....my 27.5 Giant XTC hardtail and I cover lots of miles and I think it's time to upgrade the wheels.

I think I am sold on the idea of a set of Mavics. But the more I look around the more I get confused.

Most of my riding is Bridleways, with occasional trips to the trails in the Peak District and Cannock Chase. I have also done the Rat Race The Crossing and intend on doing this again which means a route through the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and then Moors.

I don't do hard hitting downhill or big jumps, and I like to think I am smooth with my lines.

Budget within £400 but would rather be closer to £300ish.

Have seen Mavic Crossmax sl pro wts 2016 & Crossmax sl pro Ltd wts 2016 , but have no idea what the difference is??

In the 2017 range. Have seen the xa elite but am I just paying for 2017??

Or do I save a few quid and go for the Crossride?

I'd prefer to stay lightweight but want to compromise strength.

Can anyone explain the differences and have a suggestion for me?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why on earth have you picked Mavic not even knowing what wheels you want.

I wouldn't go Mavic, they are pricey for what you get and most the spares are bespoke and very expensive, just get a a decent pair of built wheels, have a look at Superstar's offerings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I know what sort of wheels I want. The best for my type of riding. Something light yet strong but can serve for long distances.

The Mavic website is 2017 focused, yet there seems to be some good deals online for 2016 wheel sets.

So I am struggling to understand the differences between the options, and just looking for some friendly advice from someone who may know?

I am not an engineer, I wouldn't know how to spec out a build on Superstar. Plus anything I try to pick out for a pre build is always out of stock.

My old 26" bike was treated to some Mavics years ago and those wheels have lasted in excess of 2000 miles with no rebuilds or even a broken spoke. This is why I thought of Mavic again.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    wouldn't bother with those mavic wheels - pretty narrow rim ID, there is a reason they are cheap.
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    Hello mate,

I have no idea what the difference is between these models is... but looking at the internal width they are quite narrow at 19mm. Saying this 19mm if ok for most riding if you are not too aggressive. I had Mavic 319s for 3 years on my old Boardman and never buckled and stayed true since day one. Only got rid of them because the hubs started to fail but this is due to years of hard riding and abuse... either way the wheels you picked are ok but I would be looking for 23-25mm as it will improves your bike stability and and feel - this is my personal experience when I upgraded my wheelset. The guys at SuperStar are quite helpful, if you call them they will be able to recommend a build based on your requirements and budget.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I buckled a wheel on my bike a few weeks ago and wanted a fairly cheap quick replacement to get back on the bike ASAP. I picked up a Mavic front wheel pretty cheap as they were about 50% off. The internal rim width is 21mm. I can't say it's tried and tested but seems so far so good. I don't think it's an amazing wheel but for the price it's OK. I will probably look to upgrade both wheels when budget allows anyway!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Finecactus wrote:
    I know what sort of wheels I want. The best for my type of riding. Something light yet strong but can serve for long distances.
    That's not a type of wheel, XC, trail, Enduro, DH, those are types of wheel. One person's long ride is another's daily ride, how long is long?

Best, you'll want a carbon rim, butted spokes, the option for an XD freehub (unless it's for DH).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.