Garmin 800 suddenly not picking up ANT+

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,471
edited August 2017 in Workshop
As the title really. I usually have a PM and HR strap connected to it and now it's not recognising either. I actually have another 800 and that one is still picking up the same PM & HR strap fine. Both of the Garmins are quite few years old and have seen plenty of use..

Unless someone has any better suggestions I will try the following in this order:

- take it apart and put it back together again, looking for loose things.
- drop it onto a hard floor from a few feet up.
- expose it to some serious electromagnetic fields.
- drop it onto concrete from a 2nd floor window.

Comments

• You could try running over it with your car, but first I would try a factory reset and then try pairing your PM & HR again.
  • neeb
    Tried the factory reset, no luck.. :(
  • neeb
    P.S. The reason I have two 800s is that the older one (the one that is currently working) stopped working a few years ago (after I sweated profusely and repeatedly on it on the turbo) and then started working again a few months later.
  • Have you tried manually entering the sensor IDs? Can't say if it's any more likely to work than automatic pairing.
  • neeb
    Have you tried manually entering the sensor IDs? Can't say if it's any more likely to work than automatic pairing.
    Good idea as something to try - but no luck..
  • Sounds like you've tried everything, maybe worth giving these guys a ring. http://www.satnav-doctor.co.uk/ or try Garmin they do a unit exchange its around £80 ish not sure if they still do the 800 though. There are others google it.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    It will be one of two things; software or hardware. If it's software, it will likely be fixed by flashing the firmware. Try this link

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/edge- ... lp.183122/

Just downgrade to the second most recent version. You can go back to the current firmware if you want using Garmin Express, the important thing is to flash it.

If it's hardware, then quite frankly, you're going to have no chance to fix it yourself, send it to one of the companies mentioned or treat yourself to an Elemnt Bolt or an 820!
  • neeb
    Thanks both, that link for the firmware update is a really useful resource!

Unfortunately it didn't work, so it must be a hardware issue.. :(

Might give the satnav doctor a go and see what the cost would be. My other 800 is still working, but it's the slightly older version that had the slightly less effective seal on the USB port (which is why it previously stopped working for a bit). It's also pretty elderly so I guess it's not going to work for ever.. I rather liked having two as there's nothing worse than suddenly being without a computer when one dies.. (what, you can still ride a bike without speed, power, HR data etc? - nah, surely not! :D )
    or treat yourself to an Elemnt Bolt or an 820!
    I almost did that (820) but was put off by the conflicting reports of how well the screen works. I like the way the 800's screen works reliably but requires a moderately firm press. What's the deal with the 820, is the screen as bad as some reports claim?