Custom Ti frame considerations?

adlopa
adlopa Posts: 37
edited August 2017 in Road general
I'm having a Ti frame built as a treat to myself. Primarily for audax, but it'll be a bit of an all-rounder.

I've been measured by a fitter, the builder has pretty much fixed the geometry and we're settled on the main features – 140mm post-mount discs, cable routing, mudguard and rack mounts, BB type, bottle bosses and so on.

All that's left is the minor detail and, other than a rear derailleur hangar, I can't really think of anything (chain pip on the seatstay..?). So has anyone been through this process and have any insight into what else I should be considering?

Comments

• What colourway to get it painted
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    What colour bar tape/cages/saddle/tyres/etc to match the colour way as Sloppy has said.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    some frame pump mounts.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Front derailleur band or braze on? Provision for a front chain catcher?

Headtube size for bearing compatibility - tapered? Inset? Which fork?

Di2 compatible? Internal cable routing?

Internal or external brake hoses?

Bottom bracket shell size? Standard threaded 24mm or push fit, BB30 etc?

Through axle or standard drop outs? If the latter I can recommend DT Swiss RWS through bolt skewers which lock really tight in a traditional dropout.

Seat post or longer seat tube with a seat post cap? Seat post diameter?

Guard mounts? Pannier mounts?

Are you sure about post mount disc brakes as the industry seems to be going flat mount as the standard for road bikes? Just thinking about availability of calipers in years to come...

And then onto finishing kit, the list is endless, but complimentary colours, custom Ti bolts (maybe coloured), handbuilt wheels with something like Hope hubs which are fantastic value for money and just last forever, carbon or alloy rims - with disc brakes carbon is the ideal combination for light weight and robustness without the worry of crap rim braking. Sensible handbuilt wheels with spokes that are available widely that can be changed if needs be.

Desired tyre width - if you want to run something wider if you are going to do touring/ a bit of gravel road etc then consider this at the build stage and fork selection stage.

Can't think of much else at the mo...!

Enjoy

PP

p.s. my Ti project has had to go on hold due to a new boiler and water tank... :(
  • Matthewfalle
    latex or normal tubes.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pilot Pete wrote:

Desired tyre width - if you want to run something wider if you are going to do touring/ a bit of gravel road etc then consider this at the build stage and fork selection stage.

28mm minimum
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Indeed...

PP
  • Fypo
    Fypo Posts: 24
    What made you choose post mount disk brakes? Thats limiting your choice of brakes as most new disk brakes are flat mount now.
  • Also if you are planning on having a front dynamo with thru axle then plan for 160mm discs/ i have found twice that the increased diameter of dynamo hubs means that at 140mm the calliper can rub on the spokes.

I would agree with the comments about post mount, flat looks much better IMHO.
  • adlopa
    adlopa Posts: 37
    Thanks all – finishing kit is all sorted (well, written down...) and it was the frame detail I was thinking of – the stuff that can't easily be added later, in other words.

So excellent point re: post mount discs – flat-mount would be a more sensible option (and can obvs be converted to post-mount, If need be). And great catch on the disc size, too! This will be using a front dynamo, so I'll bear that in mind when building this up.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Are you sure about post mount disc brakes as the industry seems to be going flat mount as the standard for road bikes? Just thinking about availability of calipers in years to come...

This would be my only concern too
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    English or Italian thread b/b.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.