Upgrading from Fulcrum Racing 6

dancudds
dancudds Posts: 3
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
My 2011 Specialized Roubaix came with Racing 6s. From what I've read these fall between the specs of 5s and 7s.

They've been rock solid for 6 years of riding and only needed to be trued a couple of times. As I read about upgrading my ride it seems a lot is placed on the wheelset. So how far do I need to go for an upgrade? Racing 5? Racing 3?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    dancudds wrote:
    My 2011 Specialized Roubaix came with Racing 6s. From what I've read these fall between the specs of 5s and 7s.

The force is strong....
    dancudds wrote:
    They've been rock solid for 6 years of riding and only needed to be trued a couple of times. As I read about upgrading my ride it seems a lot is placed on the wheelset. So how far do I need to go for an upgrade? Racing 5? Racing 3?

How far do you want to go for an upgrade? You haven't said what your objectives are, what type of riding you do or what your budget is.
  • Imposter wrote:
    How far do you want to go for an upgrade? You haven't said what your objectives are, what type of riding you do or what your budget is.
    Sorry - I live in a very hilly area. I'm not build well for climbing (or much else) but the better the climbing is the better.
  • dancudds wrote:
    Sorry - I live in a very hilly area. I'm not build well for climbing (or much else) but the better the climbing is the better.

Some people swear that lighter wheels help when climbing.

Some think it is bunkum

Current trend is for a wider rim with enhanced brake track. And tubeless.

HTH
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dancudds wrote:
    So how far do I need to go for an upgrade? Racing 5? Racing 3?

I've owned and ridden Fulcrum Racing 7's, 5's and 3's and they're all great wheelsets at their respective price points. The new Racing 3's are tubeless ready if you should choose to go down that route. They're a good balance of durability, weight and price.

Pick a budget, buy some wheels in that price range, admire their shiny new sexiness, then go ride!