Trek Emonda ALR

FernTheBrute
FernTheBrute Posts: 4
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I recently sold a carbon Synapse 2014 and I'm looking for something to replace it that would offer the same level of performance and a similar geometry. I'm very tempted by the Emonda ALR 6, which seems like a great package for the price. Can anyone give me some first hand experiences on that? Is the frame plenty stiff? I have an hybrid alu commuter and it flexes so much that the chain rubs the derailleur when I stand up, I definitely don't want that.

Comments

• timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    I have a 2016 ALR6 and have found it plenty stuff enough for me, though I'm only 63kg (5'10") so i don't think it's overly stressed. For what I do, 40-70 mile rides with hills I think it's all the bike I need, though I have just swapped out the wheels for some new zondas and it feels much better, but could be a placebo effect.

It's fairly plain to look at but rides well, and full Ultegra for the price is pretty good, esp if you have some lighter wheels knocking around.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I raced on the ALR last year, quite a few guys use it as their race bike. I'm not the heaviest either, 67kgs, but noticed zero flex when sprinting and certainly none while climbing out of the saddle.
    I also have the Domane ALR for my winter / commuter, again no flex in this either.

Not sure if you've looked around, but personally I'd also have a look at the CAAD12 - not saying there is anything wrong with the Emonda ALR, but worth having a look at other similar options.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    In reference to woodster, you can get a CAAD12 from Cycledivision for £1000.
  • Yeah the Caad geometry is just not for me. Super long legs, short torso, so I need something with a high stack and short reach. That's what first got me interested in the Emonda
  • In the line of stiff all frame you could look at Dolan or this, so say dropped 500g and takes bigger tyres

2018-allez-elite_11583.jpg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I've got a 2016 ALR 5, it's a great bike, better than a lot of carbon. Just throw away the stock wheels.
  • I also have a 2016 Alr 5. Fantastic bike, super stiff, also easily fits 28c tires if that's valuable. ;)
  • It is valuable, I planned to run 25mm tires on 19mm internal width rim, so that needs lots of clearance.