Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Budget MTB baggy shorts

rumbatazrumbataz Posts: 796
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to expand my cycling wardrobe with some more casual clothing. I currently only have road bike clothing. Hence, I'm looking for recommendations on MTB shorts. I've bought a couple of padded liners already so don't need the MTB shorts to have a chamois.

I don't want to spend too much and cannot justify 50 quid on a pair of shorts. I have lots of pairs of casual shorts already, but they aren't MTB shorts. Would those be okay to wear over the liner shorts or is there something special about MTB shorts?

Ideally I don't want to spend more than 20 quid on a pair of MTB shorts. I've found a couple but they don't do them in FAT size! A highly adjustable waistband for the erm... fuller figure is a must!

I have tons of t-shorts and tops so just need recommendations on budget MTB shorts.

Posts

  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just keep checking sales. I have plenty of Endura shorts that cost £20 odd.

    Any less and you're looking at random no name Chinese stuff off Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • rumbatazrumbataz Posts: 796
    I'm looking at Endura Hummvee shorts. Reviews say that the sizing is tiny!
  • ryan_w-2ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    £35 (with code) down from £70. Had mine 10 years.

    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-MT500-S ... ZjEALw_wcB
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

    IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • philcubedphilcubed Posts: 260
    I'm a 32" waist, and ended up with XL Hummvees when I bought them a few years ago - excellent shorts. Bought some Endura Zymes - so same manufacturer - and ended up with Medium, so sizing with Endura may be a bit random. Zymes are a good short too though.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm a 32 and wear small Humvees. Go figure.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • qubeqube Posts: 1,899
    I'm a 34 and wear Humvees in medium.

    Perfect fit (for me) and probably the best shorts you'll get at this price.
  • kajjalkajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just wear the road clothing but with looser tops for mountain biking. I used to wear baggy shorts but they are really irritating for me. If I was doing downhill or really rough trails at high speed I would get something harder wearing.
  • rumbatazrumbataz Posts: 796
    Ordered two Hummvees in the biggest size they had. Interesting spelling on the Wiggle site: "Endura Hummvee Baggy Shorts" - two 'mm's. It looks like they're end of line. Only two colours available: black and a mud colour, so ordered the black.
  • rumbatazrumbataz Posts: 796
    Kajjal wrote:
    I just wear the road clothing but with looser tops for mountain biking. I used to wear baggy shorts but they are really irritating for me. If I was doing downhill or really rough trails at high speed I would get something harder wearing.

    The roughest ground I go over is my driveway! The rest of the ride is normal roads and smooth cycle paths. I'm only a leisure rider and I haven't cycled for a couple of months now. Starting to feel a bit self-conscious in tight Lycra on the grounds of being fat again, so wanted get some baggy clothing until I lose weight again.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or some Hope. Suitably Enduro. £20.
    http://www.hopetech.com/shop/dh-shorts/
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,462
    Decathlon do their btwin range plenty good enough hard wearing and bigger sizes available.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • swod1swod1 Posts: 1,639
    As wiggle have been doing the endura shorts for 25 I'm on to 3 pairs now of them sizing wise I'm an xl and there fine.

    I do have some xxl ones but they are little big now after a few years of riding.

    I wear them if just going to the shop so useful if not riding with the multiple pockets for wallet, keys etc
  • kajjalkajjal Posts: 3,380
    rumbataz wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    I just wear the road clothing but with looser tops for mountain biking. I used to wear baggy shorts but they are really irritating for me. If I was doing downhill or really rough trails at high speed I would get something harder wearing.

    The roughest ground I go over is my driveway! The rest of the ride is normal roads and smooth cycle paths. I'm only a leisure rider and I haven't cycled for a couple of months now. Starting to feel a bit self-conscious in tight Lycra on the grounds of being fat again, so wanted get some baggy clothing until I lose weight again.

    :)
  • doomanicdoomanic Posts: 238
    Ryan_W wrote:
    £35 (with code) down from £70. Had mine 10 years.

    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-MT500-S ... ZjEALw_wcB
    Code no worky. :(
    Sorry, this ECWJ2R promotion code cannot be applied against any brand in your cart
  • apreadingapreading Posts: 4,533
    I have been wearing hummvees for years. Never really questioned it but have never been 100% on them. Just bought some of these from Decathlon:

    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-mountai ... 81758.html

    Went out round Swinley today and they are superb. The ultimate accolade is that I never once thought about them all day. They are stretchy material all over, fit really well, leg shape is better than the Hummvees and they are just supremely comfortable. They dont come with a liner but I have a few already. I have a thinner, mesh one, that is an Endura light version - didnt come the Hummvees and is lighter and cooler than the one that did. Perfect combo in every way.
  • rumbatazrumbataz Posts: 796
    apreading wrote:
    I have been wearing hummvees for years. Never really questioned it but have never been 100% on them. Just bought some of these from Decathlon:

    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-mountai ... 81758.html

    Went out round Swinley today and they are superb. The ultimate accolade is that I never once thought about them all day. They are stretchy material all over, fit really well, leg shape is better than the Hummvees and they are just supremely comfortable. They dont come with a liner but I have a few already. I have a thinner, mesh one, that is an Endura light version - didnt come the Hummvees and is lighter and cooler than the one that did. Perfect combo in every way.

    I'll see how the Hummvees work out over the next couple of months. The ones mentioned in your link don't have a size guide. How is the sizing compared to actual waist size?
  • apreadingapreading Posts: 4,533
    I am a 34 inch waist and could either go L or XL. I find many shorts tight on the thighs so found the XL slightly better for me of the two sizes. Not because the L were too tight but because the XL were more like baggies on the legs for me.

    They have a velcro wasit adjuster so I can adjust the waist on the XL to fit me perfectly without need for a belt, the L wouldnt have needed any such adjustment. The waistband is also stretchy at the back.

    I think My Hummvees are XL too.
  • rumbatazrumbataz Posts: 796
    Endura Hummvee baggy shorts first impressions: I got two pairs a few days ago and went out for a ride today. I bought XXL size and they fit fine, although I could probably have got away with XL. They were washed and dried beforehand. One of the polythene bags that they came in had already been opened so I'm assuming they were a returned pair. The tags were all intact anyway and, as I mentioned, they were washed and dried.

    The liner shorts with their 'click' fasteners are not that good, to be honest. The padding is very thin and the fastening mechanism is not very secure. They do the job but I found the thin padding to be quite uncomfortable. I imagine they'd be fine if you're thin and not too heavy. Bring a certified fatty, there's far too much weight bearing down on the padding so I found it uncomfortable. I've got two pairs of decent liner shorts with much better padding which I'll try next time.

    The shorts themselves are quite sturdy and feel like they can take an awful lot of punishment. There are pockets all over them and a keyring holder too. They feel comfortable to wear and the baggy design means that they never feel like they're compressing my legs.

    During riding they rustle slightly as the material is mainly nylon, I believe. But this was fine and it didn't detract from the enjoyment of the ride. I didn't feel restricted in them in any way, and they're nice enough to wear as summer casual shorts too. They come with a token belt that is fairly rubbish and I never used it anyway.

    All in all, at the 25 quid price point they're worth it. I wouldn't pay more than that though. As I mentioned, if you're heavy ( > 80KG) then I'd recommend getting better liner shorts with more padding, but the Hummvee shorts themselves are great.

    They'll look even better when I get my cruiser bike. :mrgreen:
Sign In or Register to comment.