New bike

rogerv78
rogerv78 Posts: 61
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Ok so I'm thinking of investing in a new bike next year as a bit of a 40th birthday prezzie, at present I ride a 2014 cube pelaton race and its been a great bike with 105 groupset, I have changed the wheels to some 40mm carbon reynold assaults which I love so will transfer them to the new bike.

It needs to be an endurance/sportive style bike as I mainly ride sportives or weekend rides with mates.

Ideally I'd like a carbon frame and full ultegra groupset and ideally with an 11-32 cassette as that is what I like to ride. Non disc brakes as my reynolds are not disc brake wheels.

Budget is around £2-2500.

I look forward to seeing your recommendations and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's loads of choice. I'd just look myself. You know what you like.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    The new Cannondale Synapse should be on your list I would have thought. There is only one non-disc brake model though, and that is Shimano 105.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Swap out the rear cassette and mech... and this would be my dream bike

https://www.slanecycles.com/bianchi-inf ... iSEALw_wcB
  • Rollemynot wrote:
    Swap out the rear cassette and mech... and this would be my dream bike

https://www.slanecycles.com/bianchi-inf ... iSEALw_wcB

Approved by NASA no less

Traditional passive damping of the frame using superficial rubber inserts and isolators are only marginally effective compared to the integrated carbon Countervail system developed by Bianchi and proven in the extreme conditions of NASA aerospace operations.
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Cervelo R3: https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cerve ... -2017/82LP

A race bike as comfy as a hybrid...
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    rogerv78 wrote:
    ...It needs to be an endurance/sportive style bike as I mainly ride sportives or weekend rides with mates.....

I get what you are saying but these terms are more marketing than anything and you may risk limiting your choices and excluding many suitable options. Any bike that fits you would be ideal.

I ride an SS Evo and do 100+ mile all day rides and multi-day trips without issues - and you get the benefit of the sharper handling. I'm not saying this would be right for you but would suggest you don't limit your choices unnecessarily.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Kuota do some very nice bikes at this price point if you want something a bit different.
  • Giant bikes on sale at Giant stores 20% off.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    The new Cannondale Synapse should be on your list I would have thought. There is only one non-disc brake model though, and that is Shimano 105.

There's also a Ultegra rim brake model too
  • You can do a lot worse than a Bianchi Infinito cv. Good news is the wheels they ship them with are pretty rubbish so it's the one thing that needs replacement. 2016 models can be found for about 2500 only difference is the paintwork.
  • Seb K
    Seb K Posts: 23
    Cervelo sucks but then Ryan rides one so it makes sense .
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Seb K wrote:

What's wrong with Cervelo ?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    rando wrote:
    Seb K wrote:

What's wrong with Cervelo ?

Guys a d!ck mate, don't fret.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • I've just got a new 2017 cannondale supersix evo for £1250. Its "only" 105 but I can't tell the difference between 105 and the ultegra on my old bike. Its quick and nimble. I prefer it to my 2016 trek domane. It feels just as comfortable but feels quicker.
    This gives you £1250 to upgrade the wheels, get new kit or go away on holiday.
    After getting the ss evo. Im struggling to see where the extra £1000 went on the trek.
  • proylance
    proylance Posts: 27
    edited August 2017
    I always say buy the best frame you can afford, as then when you want to upgrade it's the wheels and group set, not the whole bike as you then fancy a better frame (I learnt the hard way a couple of times).
  • proylance wrote:
    I always say buy the best frame you can afford, as then when you want to upgrade it's the wheels and group set, not the whole bike as you then fancy a better frame (I learnt the hard a couple of times).

+1
  • rogerv78
    rogerv78 Posts: 61
    Svetty wrote:
    rogerv78 wrote:
    ...It needs to be an endurance/sportive style bike as I mainly ride sportives or weekend rides with mates.....

I get what you are saying but these terms are more marketing than anything and you may risk limiting your choices and excluding many suitable options. Any bike that fits you would be ideal.

I ride an SS Evo and do 100+ mile all day rides and multi-day trips without issues - and you get the benefit of the sharper handling. I'm not saying this would be right for you but would suggest you don't limit your choices unnecessarily.

This is interesting as I was always under the assumption that bikes were set up differently for different disciplines?

Will widen my search, thanks for the info !
  • rogerv78 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    rogerv78 wrote:

This is interesting as I was always under the assumption that bikes were set up differently for different disciplines?

Will widen my search, thanks for the info !

Endurance frames are usually stacked higher at the front and offer more flex in the right places to improve comfort. You could get a very aggressively shaped frame low at the front and short wheelbase which may be nice and fast but is not going to be as comfortable to crunch mile after mile on. Some people with good flexibility can get away with riding anything for long periods. Some can't. So look for a bike which you feel suites your riding style.