Road fork for big discs

OllieStrother
OllieStrother Posts: 17
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi peeps, anyone know of a carbon road fork which takes up to 200mm discs?

Looking for some monster stopping power in an attractive set up.

Flat mount and 12mm through axle would be grand.

Cheers.
Ols.

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    None I know of, why one earth you would need that size rotor though is beyond me.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    it not even needed on mtbs any more. it is normally a case of fitting the right adapter but i dont think one is available for flat mount.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I have only seen tandems with a rigid fork for 203 mm discs.

Steel, probably weighs more than your frame

https://www.tandems.co.uk/m4b0s7p597/OR ... -disc-700c
    left the forum March 2023
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    It's the rubber that will stop you, not the size of the disc.

I've been 107kg and absolutely fine with 140mm discs.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    In support of what has already been said, I think at that size you're more likely to snatch a brake with a monster disc. I can see the sense of big discs on a tandem.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The benefits of big discs are not just stopping power (which is probably unecessary here) but also greater heat dissipation I think? I can see the benefit of the latter if there are long mountain descents in mind.

However, in order to keep weight down road forks normally are only rater to either 140mm or 160mm and anything bigger would break the warranty, if not the forks themselves!

More creative solutions to keep the brakes cool have been developed, from finned pads to fins on rotors. So the need for bigger rotors is less now.

I dont think you will find a carbon road fork that would sensibly be run with 200mm.
  • Looks like 180 is the maximum for now. Will stick with them.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    How heavy are you? What tyres shall you be using?
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Looks like 180 is the maximum for now. Will stick with them.

Two questions;

Which fork takes a 180mm rotor?

And, why would you want/ need one?

PP
  • I've seen a few solid carbon forks which take 180s. I can't remember which one now. But saw 1 or 2.

Yes 160 do work, but I'm 100kgs and about 6% fat. With 10 to 30kgs of commuting gear on the back end, and dropping down the 1 in 4 hills they have around where I live.

In the wet...

More stopping power is useful. I've got 160s on now. And well set up and they're just not up to it in extreme situations.

Just looking to maximise performance. Don't care about weight. I'm heavy enough already. I just want to be able to get close to the front tyre limit, like I. Can on every other two wheel machine on own. Which I'm unable to do at present on this bike.

I ride 32mm wide gatorskin hardshells.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    160mm rotors front and rear. Dont mess about with 140's even UCI say 160mm for the pro's.

The extra heat disapation is the point and slightly improved modulation.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.