Disc brake wheels

murrayp7
murrayp7 Posts: 18
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
So I'm in the process of buying wheels as I need to replace the stock wheels on my Cannondale Caad Optimo for various reasons which I won't bother getting into. I have narrowed it down to two wheelsets:

Fulcrum racing 5 lg Disc brake Wheelset (QR centrelock)

and

Campagnolo Zonda C17 Disc Brake (QR centrelock)

Now before I hear everyone telling me to get the Zondas (which is what I think will happen lol), the difference in price is approximately €200. So I have two questions:

Are the fulcrum wheels good?

and

Are the Zondas that much better to justify paying an extra €200?

I ask because I don't want to spend more money if there's not going to be a huge difference. I am open to other suggestions of good disc wheels also, but I'm not willing to go over €500 if possible, and a lower price is better lol! Thanks :)

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes.

No.

You are aware that Fulcrum are part of Campag aren't you?! ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    refreshing to see someone who can spell disc brake correctly these days!
    left the forum March 2023
  • murrayp7
    Yes.

No.

You are aware that Fulcrum are part of Campag aren't you?! ;)

Short and sweet lol! Thanks. I am aware of that fact, and I figured that would mean both would have high standards but I wasn't sure whether or not the higher price tag had any bearing.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Get the 5's...

Use the €200 to go towards a training holiday in Majorca - way more beneficial than saving 200grms on a wheel set
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    With the zonda you get the cup and cone hubs cartridge bearing hubs for the racing 5's. Whether that is important to you is up to you.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    The Fulcrums are good, the Zondas are better but no one can tell you whether they're €200 better for you.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • murrayp7
    Thank you all for your advice. In the end I changed my mind altogether and went for a set of mavic aksiums to save money. I can worry about a high quality wheelset in the future, and by then I might aim higher!
  • Sooner than you think if your Aksium freehub lasts as long as mine (4½ months for the original, 5 for the warranty replacement,... The replacement replacement remains unfitted)