How far would you travel to look at a bike?

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
So I'm looking for a new bike. I've narrowed it down to Titanium and "test" ridden two a J.ack and an Enginma both had different wheels different day different rode so no real comparison, the J.ack has internal cabling, the Enigma has external, apart from ths they seem much of muchness.

I want to "compare" these to a Lynskey GR250, ATR Tripster and a Moots all of which are in London, I'm in Leicester, so 200 mile round trip - Is it worth the trip or better just going for one the local ones? Obviously be easier logistically if local but having never spent so much on a bike I want something to compare them too, nut again given be different wheels and set ups etc it'll still be different and not really comparable...

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Drive down to London and test ride all the bikes you want. Treat it as part of the buying experience and enjoy it. Make a weekend of it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Shortfall wrote:
    Drive down to London and test ride all the bikes you want. Treat it as part of the buying experience and enjoy it. Make a weekend of it.

This.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Shortfall wrote:

Agreed

That Lynskey is a really sweet looking bike. My next daydream bike would be something along those lines. Think i'd best start saving some pennies
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    So I'm the only one that read the title and thought "probably not all the way".
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • As far as a mouse click, or my local LBS
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I thought it was going to be about robbing a bank or something.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Amended the title :)
    Personally I just couldn't "see" any difference in the two that I looked especially when I'm on it riding.

Yeah LBS seems most logical way to go, particularly as one of the guys is a renowned wheel builder and I can test ride with the demo seats - get to ride with it for a week or so and if don't like the saddle, I can swap for another until I find one most comfortable after a period of time, which I just wouldn't be able to do if went to London - Unless I could get the LBS to order in the frame-set that I want.... after I've seen it in the flesh.
    I don't want spend a lot on a bike that I've not even seen until I've paid my money
  • I live in Scotland, doing the weekly shop is a 60 mile round trip, a trip in to the office (currently in every day) is 140 round trip... 200 as a one off, meh.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Don't think Ive ever test rode a bike prior to purchase. I would like to - but its always difficult unless you stick to the big brands.
    Do you research, look at the geometry, - at the end of the day as long as you get the right size - is there much to gain from even an hours ride. At some point you have to take a leap of faith....