40 miles

Darklord1266
Darklord1266 Posts: 4
edited September 2017 in Road beginners
I have completed 40 miles for the first time. I have been cycling for three months now. It's still fun, I've lost a bit of weight, ( 13 lbs. ) . My appetite has increased to a level that I'm not comfortable with. I want to eat all the time now.

When should I start thinking abought clipless peddles

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Now.
  • steve91
    steve91 Posts: 30
    Bondurant wrote:
    Now.
    Agreed
  • Take some food with you, for example a handful of sultanas/raisons in a food bag, grab a pinch every ~15mins after you been riding ~30mins. This might prevent you from emptying the fridge and cupboards upon arrival back home.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Clipless pedals now, just get into the habit of grazing on healthy stuff (bowls of seeds, raisins, nuts, Twiglets, pork scratchings) instead of gorging on everything.

Bear in mind that aren't a PRO or even, God forbid, a club cyclist, so the occasional pie/chips and curry sauce/beer isn't going to kill you.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Insatiable appetite and losing weight?
    Bliss! Enjoy without worry.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

Always the tendency to cut calories when increasing work load, MISTAKE!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    PBlakeney wrote:

Always the tendency to cut calories when increasing work load, MISTAKE!

That's a Trump tweet :) FAKE NEWS :lol:

If increasing exercise then maintain food as a minimum, likely increase a little. Drop food when reducing exercise. When I went into training mode then I dropped weight but no change in diet (not that I have a bad one anyhow) and the weight came off. Mistake was over winter Iowered exercise and maintained the food :roll: and now back to working off that lard.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    Big congratz on the 40 mile milestone... without clipless pedals!

I'd definitely invest in a set of clipless pedals, especially if your chucking out 40 mile bike rides.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well done and keep it. Sgick to toe clips if you want to be all retro otherwise get some exustar pedals. There arc11 cleats are awesome they dont wear out like shimano or look cleats. I have stopped wearing cleaT covers they are that hard wearing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    If you want to switch to clipless then I suggest you get MTB ones, as the cleats are far easier live with than road ones.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Bungle73 wrote:
    If you want to switch to clipless then I suggest you get MTB ones, as the cleats are far easier live with than road ones.

Or they're not as other's will testify....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Take some food with you, for example a handful of sultanas/raisons in a food bag, grab a pinch every ~15mins after you been riding ~30mins. This might prevent you from emptying the fridge and cupboards upon arrival back home.;)

Yep that works for me.

did 60 hilly miles at weekend on 2 boiled eggs and a banana !
  • I would go for clipless ASAP and just practice taking your foot on and off on a short local ride, also try eat carbs breakfast and lunch but not dinner (except salad/green veg), take a low carb protein shake post ride, PHD Nutrition does a diet whey range.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    Svetty wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

What "others"? I know for a fact that lots of people use MTB pedals on their road bikes, including lots of people here. Unless you are either a) someone who only uses a bike for racing, or b) someone who is welded to your bike and never gets off it during a ride then road pedals and cleats are a right royal pita. Some of us like to get off our bikes and walk around during a ride once in a while.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

What "others"? I know for a fact that lots of people use MTB pedals on their road bikes, including lots of people here. Unless you are either a) someone who only uses a bike for racing, or b) someone who is welded to your bike and never gets off it during a ride then road pedals and cleats are a right royal pita. Some of us like to get off our bikes and walk around during a ride once in a while.
    Usually when the road goes up :D
  • Well done, keep it up. Definitely go clipless ASAP. it's worth it.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    Well done on the 40 miles.
    I agree with others - go clipless now, but start with them set to low tension and practise a bit in a safe environment.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    oxoman wrote:
    Well done Dark Lord keep it up, sadly increased appetite is one of the after effects of increased physical exercise. As to going clueless, NOW. Just take it steady and undo the tension for releasing from the pedals before you start.

Love the advice to go clueless :D
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    oxoman wrote:
    As to going clueless, NOW.
    Agree - I've been riding bikes for 45+ years and I've been clueless all that time ;)
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Webboo wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Usually when the road goes up :D

Well I'll soon be in a position to compare the 2. Been using SPDs for years on both my road bikes, but my shoes are getting really scruffy so I just treated myself to some new road shoes and SPD-SL pedals.

Most rides I hardly ever put a foot down, let alone get off and walk about, so I reckon I'll be fine. But if I really don't get on with them after a few rides I won't mind admitting it. Watch this space...
  • I always find discussions about cleats strange, it really is just personal preference. I'm a mountain biker, roadie, commuter, tourer, pootling about with the family rider. I use SPD, Look Keo and trainers.
    There's no real difference between the cleats, both SPD and SPD SL are a pain to walk in, recessed soles for SPD helps so can be useful for commuting, but generally the shoes look a bit dull and are relatively heavy (not always but compared to modern road shoes they are). Doing the coffee shop ride there is no difference between SPD and SL, they both hold your foot in position and are both a bit awkward to walk up stairs in especially if its wet.
    My preference is my Keo's, theyre not better than my SPD's or my SPD SL's, its just i prefer the pedal system, i like the easy release, they are light and the replacement cleats are cheap (in decathlon). On a mountain bike i prefer SPD, i find they lock my foot tighter and have less float (probably just feel rather than how they work). But I'm also not locked into the pedal for long periods on a mountain bike.