Saddle advise

Flanker37
Flanker37 Posts: 70
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks, ive been away from cycling for a while, and bought a Giant Talon 2. Bike is mainly used for canal paths, trails & commuting.

I am after a decent saddle for around the £60 mark.

I used to have a specialized avatar (155mm) 2007 on my hybrid, which i found to be very comfy. I then put that on my carrera MTB, which was nicked shortly after. I replaced the saddle with a 2009 avatar, which i found to be not as comfortable as the 07 version.

I find that with the giant saddle, i'm getting numb nether regions after about 30 mins, i currently have a gel topper on it, and thats not much better.

Should i invest in another avatar, or try something else, i need it wide at the back, narrow at the front.

I'm trying to build up to 50 milers, but 20 is all i can seem to be able to stomach at the moment

Thanks for your input

Comments

• snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Gel topper wtf saddles are a personal thing, I once tired a charge spoon very well recommended but i hated it. Currently using a selle italia x1 with more than 4000 miles out of her and love it all I would say it try some just because you buy a £60 saddle doesn't guarantee anything...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Impossible to say what will be comfortable for you. One thing though - gel toppers are useless, and horrible. They move the pressure from your bony bits to soft bits. Comfortable for 5 minutes, torture thereafter.

Charge Spoon or for a bit more Fabric Scoop are cheap and seem to fit a lot of people.

Or you just need to ride and your butt will toughen up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Regarding the charge spoon, like many I used to read the best buys in the mags. Back in 2012 my last foray into biking I bought the spoon, based on its reviews to use on the carrera fury what mtb budget winner for years. That saddle lasted a month before I got rid of it. It was worse than the stock saddle.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I loved my spoon - so I can't offer advice.

Try riding out of the saddle more - or can you lower your bars ? Too much weight on the seat isn't a great idea.
  • Get your ass measured at a good bike shop: they use memory foam. I got mine done at a Giant store. They will then recommend the perfect saddle for you (well, one they sell at least).

I have a Specialized toupe sport 155mm: 30 quid. I had pain on my perenium, now completely gone.
    cooldad wrote:
    One thing though - gel toppers are useless, and horrible. They move the pressure from your bony bits to soft bits. Comfortable for 5 minutes, torture thereafter.

Not sure if the Specialized Toupe Comp Gel Saddle is worth it... would the gel in the saddle be as bad as a topper?