Tyres, what a mine field?

koreanbaz
koreanbaz Posts: 43
edited August 2017 in Cyclocross
My Cannondale CAADX came with Shwalbe Rapid Robs.
Now they have nearly worn out, so their replacement is due. But the reviews suggest there are better tyres out there to be had.
Smart Sams suggest a tad more puncture resistance.
I use it on bridal paths, canal tow paths, the odd forest track. Some rocky tracks.
No Racing, other than against mates.
It's currently sat on Continental Gatorskins after its trip to the Alps. :D
Any recommendations as to a general purpose CX/Gravel tyre please?
Not bothered about tubeless at the moment, though I have looked. Seems a trendy load of myther to be honest.

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Heard good things about the Schwalbe G one for general riding? I've used the X-one for more mud based fun and they've been good. I have the more expensive tubeless version to go on for this years racing too.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I like Continental Cyclocross Speed (folding bead) for an inexpensive general use tyre, great on everything other than deep sloppy mud.
  • koreanbaz wrote:
    My Cannondale CAADX came with Shwalbe Rapid Robs.
    Now they have nearly worn out, so their replacement is due. But the reviews suggest there are better tyres out there to be had.
    Smart Sams suggest a tad more puncture resistance.
    I use it on bridal paths, canal tow paths, the odd forest track. Some rocky tracks.
    No Racing, other than against mates.
    It's currently sat on Continental Gatorskins after its trip to the Alps. :D
    Any recommendations as to a general purpose CX/Gravel tyre please?
    Not bothered about tubeless at the moment, though I have looked. Seems a trendy load of myther to be honest.

I do similar sort of riding, I have found that the X-ones if you can bare the price and wear rate! are fast and grippy, I have the tubeless ones though tubed since they have softer compound for better grip, they have been remarkably puncture free, tubeless does seem to make the tyre more robust vs the racing ralph's which though fast, grippy are fairly fragile.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Do you meet a lot of women in white dresses on those bridal paths. :)

I changed my Rapid Robs to WTB Nanos 40c, I run them tubeless and mostly ride on MTB trails, on my rims they come up to 42mm.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    joey54321 wrote:
    Heard good things about the Schwalbe G one for general riding? I've used the X-one for more mud based fun and they've been good. I have the more expensive tubeless version to go on for this years racing too.

I have both these tyres.

X-Ones are 33c and great for cutting through mud.

Have been riding my 38c G-Ones for the past week and love how supple they are, even at 70 PSI! Very fast tyre too.

Removed the tubes for Stans tonight and breaking my tubeless virginity tomorrow.....
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Yeah, i'm going tubeless next week if I find the time. Fingers crossed!
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Was an absolute piece of p!ss to set them up tubeless. Both went up first time without an issue.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • If you REALLY want to open a can of worms, we could always talk about tubulars....
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not really a can or worms. They're a good option for racing..
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Imposter wrote:
    Not really a can or worms. They're a good option for racing..
    Ah, but do you go mass-produced (Vittoria, Specialized, Tufo etc) or handmade (FMB, Dugast etc)? What sidewall coating do you use, and how do you apply it? How do you glue them? And that's before we get to discussing treads, tread compound and pressure. If you want to get really exotic, you can even supply your own tread (eg green Michelin Mud) and get it built into a handmade tyre...

:-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    details ;)
  • Well thanks guys. Much to ponder. Including going tubeless