Rim wear, or: "Can I justify the new Exalith Open Pros yet?"

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited August 2017 in Workshop
Pretty hard to get the phone lens close enough to the rim to get a head on shot but how does this look to people?

They are Pacenti SL23s and have almost precisely done 10,000km (primarily in dry) which sounds like a reasonable amount but surely they're good for more?

If they could die just as the Open Pro Exalith rims become available for a rebuild onto the hubs that would be perfect, thanks ;-)

pacentiwear.jpg

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Wall thickness is more important than the fact that they're visibly worn - It can be measured using a couple of pieces of spoke or similar thick gauge wire and a micrometer. 0.5mm wall thickness is mentioned in many places, though it depends on the rim.

Of course, if you just need someone on the Internet to claim that you definitely need a new one, I'm happy to oblige. ;)
  • Look like they have a bit of life left, thought the OP Exalith weren't available until 2018
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    thought the OP Exalith weren't available until 2018

I'd better get riding these into the ground then!! The grittier the better :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I suppose these are the old ones, as the new have a wear indicator. I would replace them just because t is such a pain to fit a tyre, but wear-wise there seems to be still some way to go.
    The Exalith are not available anyway
    left the forum March 2023
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Unfortunately, I'd say they have a ton of life left in them yet. You could try checking the rear, if you're lucky that one might be a bit more worse-for-wear :lol:

This is what a worn-out rim looks like:

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13079601