DT Swiss PR1400 DICUT vs Fulcrum Racing Zero C17

jon33
jon33 Posts: 256
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi

I'm after some new wheels for summer riding, £600-700 range, relatively light weight but I'd prefer the stiffness over the weight if it came down to it.

I've narrowed it down to the two mentioned (title) wheelsets, does anyone have an specific thoughts on either? I've done a fair bit of reading/searching plenty of recommendations for the Fulcrum wheels but not an awful lot about the DT Swiss. Or are there any other wheelsets that I should consider in that price bracket?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Which of them has the widest external rim?
    Either of them have an enhanced coated brake track?
    Either of them have ceramic bearings?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jon33
    Which of them has the widest external rim?

Fulcrum by 0.5mm

DT-Swiss

Fulcrum

Not sure how that answers my questions though
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    My thoughts here: viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13082923

I considered the Zeros but the DT Swiss swung it for me as they are easily serviceable. Standard hubs, standard spokes and rims that wont be priced the same as a replacement wheel.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Good shout, get the answers then buy the ones that don't.

Seriously, Fulcrum Zero C17 https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wh ... 13524.html or Shamal Ultra C17 https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wh ... 75987.html are both priced well at the moment.

I wouldn't bother with the DT Swiss purely on the basis that coating will score up in time and I'm yet to be out braked by someone on a coated rim.
  • paulmon
    mfin wrote:

I wouldn't bother with the DT Swiss purely on the basis that coating will score up in time and I'm yet to be out braked by someone on a coated rim.

You know that for certain do you? Have you read any of the long term tests where they have been ridden in all conditions and yet to show signs of wear, and what the hell does coating of a rim have to do with your ability to brake later or longer. Its bit like people who come along and spout on about never needing more than a 39-23 to get up d'huez.
  • mfin
    PaulMon wrote:
    mfin wrote:

You know that for certain do you? Have you read any of the long term tests where they have been ridden in all conditions and yet to show signs of wear, and what the hell does coating of a rim have to do with your ability to brake later or longer. Its bit like people who come along and spout on about never needing more than a 39-23 to get up d'huez.

Well, I've seen photos of scoring yes, so I would say that is certain, and I have also read examples where people haven't experienced it. I wouldn't bother in case it fell into the former category as I like to take care of things and things to look like they have been looked after.

I'm not sure about your comment on coatings, as they are claimed to increase braking performance, and if it does then I'm just commenting that it's not something I need myself or have noticed owners out braking me. That's simply true.

I do accept some people do brake a lot more and are fatter, or live around very steep hills with winding descents etc, so of course there are people that can benefit from better braking. I'm not completely convinced a coating is the way to go though.
  • jon33
    PaulMon wrote:

I considered the Zeros but the DT Swiss swung it for me as they are easily serviceable. Standard hubs, standard spokes and rims that wont be priced the same as a replacement wheel.

Thanks for that, not sure how I missed that thread! How stiff are they and how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking?
  • mfin
    Asking that you should clear up do you mean laterally? and don't care about radially? or marketingly? or want numbers?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    mfin wrote:

Well, I've seen photos of scoring yes, so I would say that is certain, and I have also read examples where people haven't experienced it. I wouldn't bother in case it fell into the former category as I like to take care of things and things to look like they have been looked after.

I'm not sure about your comment on coatings, as they are claimed to increase braking performance, and if it does then I'm just commenting that it's not something I need myself or have noticed owners out braking me. That's simply true.

I do accept some people do brake a lot more and are fatter, or live around very steep hills with winding descents etc, so of course there are people that can benefit from better braking. I'm not completely convinced a coating is the way to go though.

The DT Swiss PR1400 are relatively new so there are not many users out there. Are you referring to these wheels or other coated wheels?

If so, some links would be good.
  • paulmon
    jon33 wrote:
    PaulMon wrote:

Thanks for that, not sure how I missed that thread! How stiff are they and how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking?

They feel plenty stiff enough for me. I felt no flex or movement when out of the saddle. I'm 68-70kg.
  • jon33
    mfin wrote:
    Asking that you should clear up do you mean laterally? and don't care about radially? or marketingly? or want numbers?

As a general perception, do you notice much movement when sprinting/standing?