Giant SL1 Wheelset

LiamW
LiamW Posts: 358
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I got myself a Giant Propel Advance 0 on Friday, rode round Lough Neagh (103 miles) just outside Belfast on the maiden trip, but I'm not feeling the love for the wheels (SL1 Wheelset 1850g).

The just feel sluggish and heavy when setting off, so I was looking something lighter, not as deep and that rolls a bit easier. I also got caught in the crosswinds a few times and the 55mm rims caught me out a bit (was never a big fan of deep section rims anyway)

I had a look at the Ultegra 1640g set up @ £280 in CR, but I could stretch to the DuraAce 1320g if I sold my current wheels.

Anyone had these wheels and changed them to a non aero version?

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    :) buy an aero bike, don't like the affect of crosswinds and then take off the wheels so it lessens any advantage it did have whilst making it look aesthetically shît too.

You bought the wrong bike.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    mfin wrote:
    :) buy an aero bike, don't like the affect of crosswinds and then take off the wheels so it lessens any advantage it did have whilst making it look aesthetically shît too.

You bought the wrong bike.

Jesus :lol::lol:

Valid points no doubt, but for the record the bike is grand it's the wheels that are a tad cumbersome. Maybe a different smaller deep section wheel (35mm??) perhaps instead of the 55mm or indeed instead of a standard wheelset. To be honest the SL1 are just a standard wheel with a bit of plastic stuck on to give it that 'deep section' look.

Quite heavy for what they are.

Just as well I'm thick skinned.

:lol::lol:
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Have to say I agree with mfin.

I'm a huge fan of Giants (three Defy's in my garage :shock: ) However I just can't see the point of the Propel for the vast majority of riders. My B-in-law has just got one and swears blind he's quicker but the stats don't lie. He'd have been a lot better off getting some really nice wheels for his TCR.

Even the local Giant Store admitted it was style over function.

Anyway - off post, apologies.
  • Gimpl wrote:
    Have to say I agree with mfin.

I'm a huge fan of Giants (three Defy's in my garage :shock: ) However I just can't see the point of the Propel for the vast majority of riders. My B-in-law has just got one and swears blind he's quicker but the stats don't lie. He'd have been a lot better off getting some really nice wheels for his TCR.

Even the local Giant Store admitted it was style over function.

Anyway - off post, apologies.

He can trade me 1 for 1 for my PA2 30mm alloys from my PA1. :lol: