Jerseys for racing snakes

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
OK, so while I might not go as fast as a pro I seem to have a similar waist size (28ins waist / 38ins chest - whatever that is in new money) and possibly wider shoulders?..

Currently the best fitting jerseys I have are a couple of Castelli Velocissimos in medium. These are a fairly good fit but could probably still be a little tighter around the middle.

So, any suggestions for some jerseys that might be a nice close fit?
I do like Castelli stuff but would prefer to try something different (but certainly not any more expensive).

Thanks.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    DHB ASV , Decathlon Aerofit if you're not a brand snob, both good quality and fit. I have a smaller chest size than you but same waste size and the small fits nice and snug even on my skinny biceps.
    Also take a look at D2D good fit not quite as good materials but a great price.
    All the ones I have mentioned fit better than the Gore and Santini jerseys I have.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Have a look at the Sportful Bodyfit Pro Race jerseys.
  • CptKernow
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I am a brand snob, but I'm going to have a look at the DHB jersey as well as the Sportful. If it fits better and makes me go a bit quicker, I can live with that.

So, is the Sportful BodyFit stuff a little closer fitting than the Gruppetto kit (which I have).
  • mrb123
    CptKernow wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I am a brand snob, but I'm going to have a look at the DHB jersey as well as the Sportful. If it fits better and makes me go a bit quicker, I can live with that.

So, is the Sportful BodyFit stuff a little closer fitting than the Gruppetto kit (which I have).

The Bodyfit Pro Race jerseys are the closest fitting, more so than the Bodyfit Pro Team or Grupetto.

You could also have a look at La Passione; their jerseys are definitely race fit.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    You could try one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ale-prr-20-piuma-jersey/

Quality is sublime - just not sure it will be close enough for a 28" waist.
    Free returns though, and a bloomin good price.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • +1 for Alé kit, superb quality and the "PRR" stuff is a good close racing fit.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I love my DHB ASV kit. It's super snug without being uncomfortable and very good value.
    I also wear the Ale PRR kit which is also lovely albeit a bit expensive. I'm 70kg and waist of 33" ish
  • I also like Alé kit for its eye melting colour schemes, makes you stand out a bit :mrgreen:
  • CptKernow
    Right. Have ordered pretty much everything suggested.

Hopefully I'll be a little more slippery by the end of the week!
  • mrb123
    CptKernow wrote:

Do please report back with your findings!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    CptKernow wrote:

Cracking way to do it!
    Also be keen to hear your findings.

As an aside looks like we might have a bit of an Alé fanclub on here :-)

Had a couple of their winter jerseys at 50% off in the winter, and they were awesome vfm, so decided to try a summer jersey, and a gilet from the same line, and love them both.
    Not yet tried any shorts.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • CptKernow
    Yes, will report back - possibly with or without photos.

I had actually already ordered a set of Ale PRR2 bibs before I started this thread. It was a toss up between these and a set of LaClassica (which I couldn't find much info on).
  • I have the Alé PRR Bering winter jacket. It's hands down the best bit of cycling clothing I own.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I recently bought the Ale Sprinters jersey (in bright orange) as a summer jersey and it's lovely. Very thin material and a great fit.

I've got the fluro yellow bearing LS jersey and it's by far my favourite jersey, it's the only one I've got that has a zip pocket big enough for my phone!
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    I really like the look of the Ale PRR kit. The striking colours really stand out too!
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • CptKernow
    Update.... Some of the jerseys have arrived. The DHB ASV and the Ale PRR 2.0 Piuma.

I ordered the DHB in M & S as the sizing suggested a small would be a better fit. The jersey looks nice and appears well designed / made. Tried the M first and it was a little on the loose side. The S fits pretty well BUT it just feels too short. I'm around 5'10" but I'm not sure it would reach my bibs when stood up, off the bike.

The Ale top I only ordered in M. This was a perfect fit straight off - one of the rare purchases I didn't have to think about whether I'm keeping it or not.
    Took it out for a spin this evening and it was really noticeable not having any loose material flapping around.

I also had some Ale PRR 2.0 shorts but am less won over by these. Got them in M and can't make up my mind if they are a little on the small side. Also the graphics are possibly a little over-stated for my liking...

Will let you know how I get on with the Sportful and other DHB tops.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I've just ordered 2 DhB ASV tops and one of their Classic tops, all in size L. I'm 6ft and 89kg so hoping they'll be tight enough.

Looked at the Ale stuff, but it's just too out there for me.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Anyone know of any plain black ones with liner arms - not into colored stuff.

Re fitting for DHB -I have one based on a review and although the body is nice and tight they are very short in length.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123

Re fitting for DHB -I have one based on a review and although the body is nice and tight they are very short in length.

https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/m ... -raw-black
  • CptKernow
    Update 2.... Before I go on just thought I'd restate I'm around 5'10", 65Kg, 28ins waist / 37ins chest.

So, today I have tried on a dhb Aeron Speed in Med and a Sportful Bodyfit Pro Team jersey.

Both are nice looking, well made jerseys. The Sportful one is IMO a better looking top but both would be fine if they provided a good fit.

Unfortunately neither came up as the perfect fit I was looking for. The dhb was generally a little loose so would probably be a good fit in small. Unlike the dhb ASV top the Aeron seemed to be a good length.

Looking back over this thread I noticed MrB123 did point out that the Sportful Bodyfit Race were closer fitting than the other Bodyfit lines. Unfortunately I had already ordered the Bodyfit Pro Team jersey (M). It is a lovely looking jersey but has the same problem I've had with other tops, i.e. fits fine around the chest but there's a bit too much flapping around the middle.

So, out of 4 jerseys tried I'm keeping one, the Ale PRR. However, I have ordered two more; got a Sportful BodyFit Pro Race and an Ale PRR Speed Fondo on their way....
  • Matthewfalle
    MrB123 wrote:

Coolio - thank you very much. That's the baby but not at £72.

The same but cheaper please.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    MrB123 wrote:

10% off if you sign up to their newsletter!

Some of the other La Passione jerseys are currently in their sale but sadly not the black one it seems. I expect it will be reduced after Christmas or they sometimes have decent discount codes available.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    If your budget can stretch to it, you probably should also try the Assos Equipe Evo8 jersey, that is an extreme racing snake fit. I have recently bought one, it's a great performing jersey.
  • Matthewfalle
    MrB123 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

10% off if you sign up to their newsletter!

Some of the other La Passione jerseys are currently in their sale but sadly not the black one it seems. I expect it will be reduced after Christmas or they sometimes have decent discount codes available.

Word - ta muchly. Will keep an eye out for same said aforementioned.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.