Going narrower on the hoods

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have a lovely bike but it feels quite wide at the front end even though it has the same size bars as my other bike which feels much narrower.

So im contemplating going narrower on the bars, im quite narrow so i reckon i can easily get away with it.

Anyone gone from a 42cm bar to a 40 or a 38cm bar and what did they think?

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Yep, I always change from stock bars to narrower 38's. Normally 42 to 38, sometimes 40 to 38.
    I prefer narrow and short drop. Purely in my head but I have it in my noggin that it makes me keep a more aerodynamic position. No idea if it does in the real world though.
    In terms of how this feels on the road, no different, after 5 minutes I can't really tell the difference. (But I'm a small guy at 5 foot 8 and 66kgs, so not someone who is going to be hitting the bars with their knee's or anything like that)
    Some people think the narrow bars make the bike more skittish, I have to admit I didn't notice it, but my bike is a size 52, and doesn't feel any different with the 38's.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    edited August 2017
    Wider bars can be preferable on anything that goes off the beaten track. However, on my road bikes I tend to use FSA compact "wing" bars which measure 40.5cm at the hoods but flare out to 42cm end to end. My new roadie has 42cm bars (with no flare) and I can certainly tell the difference, so have bought some FSAs to go on when I get spare hour and am in the right frame of mind to wrap the bars! My gravel bike (single speed) has bars with a wider flare again, and the extra width helps control on loose surface descents...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    I switched one of my bikes to 38 drops. The move made the bike feel more nimble in the steering and it took me a while to adjust (well a few miles).

As said, the narrower bars do tend to make you tuck the arms in much more and it shifts the position, for me less on the hands and wrists.

The good bike still runs 42 bars, so I switch between the 2 and now I am not sure I notice much :)
  • spasypaddy
    so the best option is to just do it haha

i wear a 36-38cm suit jacket depending on the cut so maybe i should just go straight to a 38cm bar.

unfortunately my preferred bar doesnt come in a 38cm grr
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Some makers measure them differently - are they centre to centre or outside to outside ? Just check before you buy.
  • spasypaddy
    ive been looking at 3t which measure c-c as thats what i currently have on my bikes.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    I've got 380 bars and have managed to smash my knee of the drops on a couple of occasions, so I'd go against the advise of "shoulder width" and go with trying to work out how much space you have outside of your knees.
  • spasypaddy
    never thought of that, but i'll take the risk!

been offered the FSA K-Force Compact Handlebar for a very good price brand but cant get a niggly feeling out of my head that they're the wrong shape for me.

I currently use 3t Ergosum on all my bikes, am i going to notice the change in shape.

Or would i be better off looking at the Zipp Service Course SL-80 or the 3t Ernova/Ergonovas?

Help!?!?!
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I ride a 38 o-to-o bar (so 36cm compared to most bars) and am quite a broad guy. I find it great, easy to get narrow for aero benefits, handling is nippy and easy to fit through gaps in a bunch. I've been riding them for 3 years now I think.

I ride 42s I think (possible 44s actually) on my cross bike for the extra control.