Poll: Frame choice, Scott or Cube?

noob01
noob01 Posts: 9
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm planning to build a new road bike.

Comfort, climbing and acceleration should be equal according to Reviews. Obviously, the Foil is an aero-frame, 211W for the Foil vs 233W for the Litening at 45km/h (not that I'll be going 45 km/h for very long stretches of time though...) but buying the cheaper frame would give room for nice toys like Stages powermeter or SRAM Red eTap upgrade group.

What frame should I go for?

Scott Foil Team frameset, 2500€ on sale
scott-foil-team-issue-pack1-1-1453393036309-11jk2aol5hhda-630-80.jpg
Review:
http://www.tour-magazin.de/raeder/rennr ... 42237.html
(the review is for the Premium but the frame is identical, Foil HMX)

or

Cube Litening C:68 SLT 2016 frameset, 1200€ on sale
rb-0316-top-rennrad-test-cube-litening-c68-slt-benjamin-hahn.jpg.10197452.jpg
Review:
http://www.tour-magazin.de/raeder/rennr ... 43201.html

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You haven't said what you want the frame for (racing, general riding, sportives, whatever) - so in the absence of any further info, I would tend to disregard the reviews and the random theoretical wattage numbers and buy the one you like the look of.
  • noob01
    noob01 Posts: 9
    You're right.
    Recreational, not competing (sometimes KOM-chasing on Strava). Distances between 30 to 80 km, mostly flat with elevation 100-300 m per ride, average speed usually somewhere between 29-32 km/h.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Training properly so with the power meter would be the better option for improving.
  • Can't comment on the Cube (never even seen one let alone ride one) but I bought a Foil Premium (identical HMX) frame earlier this year. I came from a Scott Solace, which is a comfort orientated 'endurance' frame, and was worried the Foil would be a little harsh in comparison.

Although technically an 'aero' frame, many pros use it in cobbled races (Orica's Matt Hayman won PR on one last year) and I can barely tell the difference in comfort between the Solace and Foil. I believe the old Foil was a far more harsh ride.

Your Strava averages are very similar to mine but I do seem to have improved the last few months. Not all down to the bike obviously but the Foil has a nice low front end so my position is more aero than it was on the Solace. I have a lot of hills around and find the Foil is also great for climbing - frame is stiff but compliant.

If you can't get a bike fit, be aware that Scott's sizing (for me at least) is a bit on the large side. I'm 5'10" and my Solace is a 54M (the correct size going from Scott's chart) but the Foil is a 52S which is far better for me.

Looks are entirely subjective and as has been said, at this price range its wise to buy the one you like the look of best - it will make you want to ride it more!

Just let me know if you have any questions.
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda