Upgrade Continental Mountain King?

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Mentioned in another post that I've just bought a Boardman Pro 29" MTB which comes with Continental Mountain King 2.2 29" tyres and that I've decided to go tubeless (will be doing it myself). Being new to mountain biking I'm not sure whether the MK tyres are okay or whether I could get a much better tyre. If there are much better tyres out there I would probably upgrade now before I go tubeless.

As my technical ability isn't that great my main concern is grip both on wet trails and rocks.

Would appreciate some advice; should I upgrade to a better wider tyre or are the MK tyres worth keeping?

Thanks

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    What MK's are they.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • richard36
    They just say Continental Mountain King. Halfords sell them for about £19. They're not the MK II ones.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    They go tubeless easily enough. You may find air loss for the first few days until all the pin holes seal. When i did a pair of std x kings for myself i had this issues they did hold air well after one week.

They are good tyres so go with them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    That tyre is a MKII but it is the wire bead version, the better versions are folding and Black Chili also lighter.

I'm running a MK 2.4 Black Chili tubeless on the back at the moment with a 2.35 Magic Mary Snakeskin up front.

I'm inflating them to 21-22psi front and 25-26psi rear.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Wire bead tyres dont alway convert to tubeless. Better of with the folding tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • richard36
    If I find the tyres don't easily 'convert' to tubeless because they are wire bead tyres then would the folding/black chilli version be a good upgrade for wet/muddy conditions or are there even better tyres still? My thinking is that if I do have to buy new tyres I may as well go for the best ones (or one of the best ones) there are.

Thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They'll be the plastic mountain kings. Mega hard compound gives bugger all grip. I'd bin them and get something better. Maxxis high roller 2 are my favourites but there are plenty of options. Go for folding bead and a decent compound.
  • richard36
    Just been reading a number of reviews which suggest a Maxxis combo is a good one with an Ardent on the rear and a High Roller on the front. Would you agree?
  • The wired ones on my 26 inch Boardman pro carbon were awful for grip. I went tubeless with bontrager xr4 team issue . The difference is massive.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    They'll be the plastic mountain kings. Mega hard compound gives bugger all grip. I'd bin them and get something better. Maxxis high roller 2 are my favourites but there are plenty of options. Go for folding bead and a decent compound.

I've done this a couple of months ago the difference is massive, high roller 2 3c compound front and ardent rear 60a both EXO sidewall versions and running tubeless.

Tried loads of tyres but now settled on these, might get some minions later on.

In the winter time is a high roller 2 a good idea and do they drag a lot as a rear tyre?
  • richard36
    Decided on Maxxis HRII for rear and front. Wanted the extra grip the HR apparently gives over the Ardent.

Thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I like a high roller 2 front and rear. If it's really wet, a shorty on the rear works really well.
    I don't like Ardents, probably just personal preference. High rollers were always my favourites when I raced downhill. You need to be aggressive in wet corners but once leant over they're really predictable. If it got really sloppy I'd sometimes use swamp things (old equivalent of shorty).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not a HR fan. They grip upright, or when cornering hard, but there's a slidey spot in between. I prefer more even tread.

Others may differ.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I like a high roller 2 front and rear. If it's really wet, a shorty on the rear works really well.
    I don't like Ardents, probably just personal preference. High rollers were always my favourites when I raced downhill. You need to be aggressive in wet corners but once leant over they're really predictable. If it got really sloppy I'd sometimes use swamp things (old equivalent of shorty).

Ardents are ok but I'm wondering to swap it out to a high roller on rear, do you use 3c compound on both wheels?