Autumn / Winter LS Jersey

uptheswa
uptheswa Posts: 71
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking a good all-round long sleeve jersey for cooler and possibly damp shortish ( 2 hours or less ) rides.

here is what I am looking

- lightweight
- stretchy
- good at keeping the wind out
- back pockets
- can wear in light showers without having to put on the rain jacket
- temperatures from about 10 or 12 down to 2 or 3 with suitable base layers
- available in colours other than black with decent visibilty
- up to around £100 full price or possible to get on sale at that price

which jersey do you recommend fits the bill or is the closest ?

Comments

• Castelli Perfetto. You might just get a sale one at slightly over the hundred. Awsome kit.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Ernesider
    Ernesider Posts: 300
    Castelli Alpha Winter Jacket (not the wind proof jersey) Is the best, by some distance, I have come across. Maybe more than you would like to pay, but when the weather gets cold worth the price. Chain Reaction with BC discount £140 - best I can see at a quick check ..!!!
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Ernesider wrote:
    Castelli Alpha Winter Jacket (not the wind proof jersey) Is the best, by some distance, I have come across. Maybe more than you would like to pay, but when the weather gets cold worth the price. Chain Reaction with BC discount £140 - best I can see at a quick check ..!!!

You see I'd say the jersey over the jacket at those temperatures, I'd find the jacket way too warm.
  • uptheswa
    I would prefer the fit of a jersey to a jacket type garment.
    I also run really hot. I would be afraid that these no rain type jerseys would be too warm, as I always like to wear a base layer ? Or do they control temperature just as well as a wind proof type jersey even with the extra proofing to be better in wet conditions ?
  • Ernesider
    Ernesider Posts: 300
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Ernesider wrote:

You see I'd say the jersey over the jacket at those temperatures, I'd find the jacket way too warm.

"Down to 2 or 3 *C "
    Any days below 10*C I reach for the Alpha Jacket, but people are different ..!!
    Also it is stretchy and fits very cosy and comfortable. For me at least, a brilliant
    Piece of clothing....
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Ernesider wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Ernesider wrote:

"Down to 2 or 3 *C "
    Any days below 10*C I reach for the Alpha Jacket, but people are different ..!!
    Also it is stretchy and fits very cosy and comfortable. For me at least, a brilliant
    Piece of clothing....

Exactly. It certainly is a brilliant bit of clothing but I don't touch mine until it's down to 2-3*C, anything above and it tends to be a bit too much. The jersey with either a LS or short sleeve base layer does me fine up to that point.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    The answers so far show how different everybody is...

I've got quite a range of winter jerseys and jackets, but if I could only have one it would be the Castelli Alpha Jersey (rather than the jacket mentioned so far). Primary reason being its got the widest temperature range of any jersey I own - I've used it from about 15 to 0 degrees. The base layer you use makes a massive difference, but zipping and unzipping the inner gilet makes a difference mid ride. It can cope with light showers without a cape. The fit on me is excellent - the stretchy back means you can get a really tight race fit if you want (which I have gone for, getting a small). You can pick one up for under £100 fairly easily.

The Alpha jacket is a lovely garment - I have one but I can't use it above about 5 degrees or I cook. It doesn't have the stretchy back of the jersey, so it just doesn't quite sit as well.

I also have a long sleeve Gabba - now known as the Perfetto - and I don't like it anywhere near as much as the Alpha. Reasons being that the fabric doesn't feel as nice on the skin - its got to be LS base layer for that. I find it doesn't have the massive temperature range of the Alpha, and despite its reputation I don't find it works as well in the rain.

If you want a more traditional thermal jersey with a fleece backed non-windproof fabric, I've seen decent deals on Sportful Bodyfit at Wiggle. Ale do a whole range of jerseys made from identical fabrics with various garish colours that are similar, should come in at around the £50 mark. I have a few jerseys like that and they have their place, I just prefer windproof fabrics for the ability to deal with unexpected weather changes on long rides.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Alpha Jersey.

Only thing it lacks from your shortlist is reflective panels for visibility but some fairly bright colours are available.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    http://road.cc/content/review/226524-go ... eve-jersey
    The Gore Windstopper stuff is also very good. Always beautifully made.
  • uptheswa wrote:
    - temperatures from about 10 or 12 down to 2 or 3 with suitable base layers

You need a jacket for that temperature
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    The Galibier Mistral fits the bill under your budget.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    If you run hot then the Alpha jersey is the one to get - Evans had it for about £75 a couple on months ago.
    I've also got the Castelli Trasparente and that is actually warmer than the Alpha when the weather is at the top of the jersey's temperature range - I think its because the windstopper material is thicker than the Alpha.
  • uptheswa
    OK, looking at the replies the Alpha jersey seemed to fit the bill....but I checked it and it has a black back. Ive had a recent close encounter, the car driver maintained he couldnt see me as I was all in black, I was wearing a blue fronted jacket with black back and a flashing red light ! If the Alpha could be got in blue or red with some colour in the back especially in the bottom half it would be perfect I think.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    uptheswa wrote:
    OK, looking at the replies the Alpha jersey seemed to fit the bill....but I checked it and it has a black back. Ive had a recent close encounter, the car driver maintained he couldnt see me as I was all in black, I was wearing a blue fronted jacket with black back and a flashing red light ! If the Alpha could be got in blue or red with some colour in the back especially in the bottom half it would be perfect I think.

You can get the Alpha jersey in red, Evans have a full range of sizes for £105;

https://www.evanscycles.com/castelli-al ... VZEALw_wcB

Merlin have a few sizes for £99
  • uptheswa
    Ok, looked at the options mentioned and some alternatives but looks like a straight shootout between the alpha jersey and the l/s perfetto. Both just over £100 and limited colours but I have seen the red that I think is best.

Final two questions.

Which one is less warm and/or more breathable, as I tend to overheat easily.

Sizing..I'm 5'11'' and 13 stone with 40" chest and 34" waist and a bit of a pouch ! Assuming I will wear at least one base layer do you think I would be a L or Xl
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    uptheswa wrote:
    Ok, looked at the options mentioned and some alternatives but looks like a straight shootout between the alpha jersey and the l/s perfetto. Both just over £100 and limited colours but I have seen the red that I think is best.

Final two questions.

Which one is less warm and/or more breathable, as I tend to overheat easily.

Sizing..I'm 5'11'' and 13 stone with 40" chest and 34" waist and a bit of a pouch ! Assuming I will wear at least one base layer do you think I would be a L or Xl

I'm 6'1", just over 13st with a 41" chest and 34" waist, my XL Gabba 2 is a perfect fit with a base layer.

I've not used an Alpha, but my Gabba is pretty versatile, the wind block helps in the cooler temps and with a base layer I used it through winter last year, the side vents are good when it warms up a bit or you need to manage your temps.

I also have a Rapha winter jersey that I pair up with a base layer if the forecast is dry, this got me through the coldest of days last winter without the need for a jacket.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    stevie63 wrote:
    The Galibier Mistral fits the bill under your budget.

Id agree on that, really rate it often just wear that an a base layer, its not listed as 100% water proof but its never given me any bother.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    uptheswa wrote:
    Looking a good all-round long sleeve jersey for cooler and possibly damp shortish ( 2 hours or less ) rides. ....

The key here is shorter rides I think. A 2 hour constant high effort ride is very different from a 6 hour steady paced one where you're far more likely to get cold. Hence he needs a Habu not a Bonka..... :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • uptheswa
    Spot on Svetty

I realise now that everyone is different and while the same jersey may be perfect for one it may not be perfect for someone else. I guess its trial and error and we all end up with some garments that we just will not wear much.

I dont have time for long easy spins, tend to push on when I get out. Lots of steep ramps round here too so even if on an "easy" day theres plenty of oppertunity to get warmed up.

I do run hot, have a club full windtex jacket here never wear any more would only suit me when its below freezing. I have another jacket with windtex front and roubaix back but find even with a s/s thin base its very warm.
    Thats why I was looking a jersey, bit of protection from wind and showers but not thick or hot, would rather err on the side of breathable than complete rain protection though.