Just ordered canyon ultimate slx 8.0 disc

OneBadMofoer
OneBadMofoer Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys :), I just ordered the canyon ultimate slx 8.0 disc in size S https://www.canyon.com/en/road/ultimate ... c-8-0.html . My height is 175cm, inseam 78cm ( very short legs)
:). My saddle height on my current bike is 71.5cm. Will I have enough saddle to bar drop height if I use size S ? or should I just get it in XS? thx before :)

Comments

• Will I have enough saddle to bar drop height

Maybe
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    You're only 2.5cm above the minimum saddle height Canyon list. You haven't said what your preferred drop is but unless it's not much more than a few cms I'd say the XS is better.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    So here goes with the maths.

Vertical seat height at minimum specified insertion of 690mm would be: 671.2mm (schoolboy trig)

Stack height (assumed this is minus ihead height): 546mm add 16mm (ihead height) and spacers supplied of 27.5mm = supplied headset height of 589.5mm.

An average stem height of 41mm (Zipp SL) would give a total stem height of: 630.5mm

671.2 - 630.5 = 40.7mm drop (with all supplied spacers)

Max drop therefore = 68.2mm (slammed stem)

Give or take an inch.

As you can tell I am bored this morning, please feel free to check the maths.
  • birdie23
    Sandyballs wrote:
    So here goes with the maths.

Vertical seat height at minimum specified insertion of 690mm would be: 671.2mm (schoolboy trig)

Stack height (assumed this is minus ihead height): 546mm add 16mm (ihead height) and spacers supplied of 27.5mm = supplied headset height of 589.5mm.

An average stem height of 41mm (Zipp SL) would give a total stem height of: 630.5mm

671.2 - 630.5 = 40.7mm drop (with all supplied spacers)

Max drop therefore = 68.2mm (slammed stem)

Give or take an inch.

As you can tell I am bored this morning, please feel free to check the maths.

I think your schoolboy trig may be wrong. Going from the geometry chart, with 690mm as the saddle height and the seatpost angle of 73.5° the vertical height from the bb of the saddle is 661.6mm. Max drop would then be 58.6mm.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I used the fact you have 2 sides of the triangle, c minus j. So vertical will be the root of 690 squared minus 158 squared. The error was in assuming c was measured at the min saddle height of 690mm.

All academic if a small is already ordered though. :wink:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    You're 5'10" and you think a small may be too big? How big do you think people are who use the xl?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I'm 6ft and have a saddle to BB of 765mm. Medium Aeroad fitted me a treat.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • birdie23
    Sandyballs wrote:
    I used the fact you have 2 sides of the triangle, c minus j. So vertical will be the root of 690 squared minus 158 squared. The error was in assuming c was measured at the min saddle height of 690mm.

All academic if a small is already ordered though. :wink:

I didn't even think about that way tbh.

Either way, should be enough drop unless he has a pro position.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC