Torque Wrench / torque settings

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon.

I'm looking to check the torque on the pivots of my rear suspension on a Giant Trance 2016. I've found some tech docs on the Trance but not specifically a 2106 - are the all Trances the same torque settings?

Secondly one of the bolts is a left hand thread to tighten, which my mates torque wrench will not do. Can anyone point in the direction of a dual direction 1/4" drive torque wrench that won't break the bank please?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Torque wrench go both ways. I would expect you can follow the torque setting from other bikes. Only change if the thread diameter changes.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    Look for 1/4" m:part

It has lever to set direction
  • Thank you. But this wrench has this setting but this is only the ratchet direction and will not torque in both directions. Due to the pivot bolts being reverse threaded I need a torque wrench that torques in both directions.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    After 27 years as a car mechanic I have never seen a ratchet type torque wrench that does not do both directions. Can you try it on a bolt that will not be worried like one on your garage door or the wife's bike, to see if it does in fact do both directions.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The m:part torque wrench will torque in both directions. At least mine does.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    M:part will go both ways set by a lever.

I've never seen one that doesn't do both directions. Either set by a lever or by pushing the square drive part and flipping the wrench around.