New bike for long haul - carbon vs steel, maybe even alloy?!

grumpygramps
grumpygramps Posts: 10
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi people!

So, first post on here, and looking for advice before I make a purchase.

I do a lot of riding on my trusty Planet X Kaffenback, which I love dearly, but it's a little on the small side (I'm 6'2, and it's a rather small L). I'm training to do a 1000 mile Legog ride for charity just now, and the urge to buy something that's a better size, possibly lighter, and going to be a reasonably comfortable all day ride has firmly bitten.

I've been looking at a few bikes (well, loads!). Here's the list I've narrowed it down to - Merida Ride 4000, Genesis Equilibrium, Cannondale Synapse 105 (al).

Ive found a great deal on the Merida, It's well spec'd, but a lot more upright than I'm used to being - maybe a good thing on the long journey. The Equilibrium has always appealed, and I've ridden the disc version briefly. I thought the Synapse might make an interesting option, also possibly the Caad 10, but how do they really do when the roads aren't so kind..?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions.

Gramps :)

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I had an old alloy Synapse (2 models ago) and still ride a CAAD10. There's very little in it as far as ride quality goes, but the CAAD is more aggressive by nature, and not quite as stable. I understand the revised Synapse is more comfortable than the old one, and a bit racier in geometry.
  • oxoman wrote:
    I ride with a lot of audax lads and they all swear by kinesis bikes for long distance comfort. The CAAD,s also seem to be popular as well.

Thanks oxoman! I guess it's the Racelights they're using? Found one that's local to me secondhand, in my size to have a look at - will view over the weekend and see how it is, hopefully I'll be able to test ride..

MisterMuncher, many thanks extended your way too :) There's a lbs that stocks cannondales, so will pop in and check them out.
  • Audax folks are keen on comfort and I know one guy who runs an Equilibrium disc with Clement tyres, I think 30 or 32 width for the extra comfort.
    There's a good population of all types of bikes on those runs, titanium, aluminium and carbon also, and some off the chart choices - check out a Flying Gate.
    At the end of the day, it's down to what's comfortable for you. I've done them on both carbon and aluminium, but I have an inkling for a steel bike as well.

Good luck with your choice....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Depends on luggage, if you need a rack then go for a steel frame that can take a rack, if you are happy with a large seatpack, then go for a carbon Audax machine.

I have Dolan Dual and it's perfect for long rides... at the moment I use a Topeak 6lt Seatpack, it also comes as 10 lt, which to be honest should be plenty for you
    left the forum March 2023
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I used to have a CAAD 10, awesome bike, but wouldn't put it in the touring or distance riding category.
    Ive recently decided comfort was more important than speed for me and "downgraded: my bike. I now have a Trek Domane Disc, front and rear isospeed and 32mm tyres. Smoothest most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. First ride i did i honestly was really surprised at how smooth it was. Well worth a test ride.