To keep and update or to buy new?

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
OK, so forgetting the whole n+1 thing, I need some help in deciding what to do with my bike...

I'm no newbie, however, I am no fanatic no the bike either... I love riding, but my cycling has been sporadic over the last 4/5 years because of injuries...

I own a Kuota Kharma, and have done for about 6 years now. I've upgraded the saddle and the wheels to Mavic Cosmic elites, but apart from that, the bike is pretty much stock, and in excellent nic... I am now getting back into my riding again and heading to the alps in a few week's time.

Ive been thinking about upgrading my groupset to Ultegra from the stock 105, but more recently have been thinking about upgrading my rear cassette to an 11-32 (which obviously will mean a new rear mech and chain etc.)... All these upgrades would probably set me back about £1000k

So, Ive also been looking at the new Kuota Kougar http://www.kuotacycle.it/gb-en/content/kougar-2017

This new will be about £2400... with of course the spec I want...

So, do I upgrade or buy new... ?????

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    £1000k ... I've got a full Ultegra groupset for sale with spares of each part for that price sir ... I tell you what - I'll fit it for nothing ;)

</windup>

Ultegra Groupsets can be had for £5-600 ... and a cassette (Ultegra) is about £50 - they're consumables btw - like the chains .. so even a full groupset + additional cassette to get you the 32-11 will be in the order of £650 - assuming you're fitting yourself then that's it ...

As to whether you buy new or keep the one you have - depends what you're going to do with the old one and what you're intending to do with the new one and any desire you have to own a new one.

For me - I couldn't justify £2.5k on a bike - new or not - so it would be component swap time for me - but then I have 2 road bikes so I'm happy to be able to take one out of service whilst I do the jobs I want to do on it. I did this to my original road bike - first turning it into a TT bike then back to a road bike with upgraded components (Shim2300 -> 105) -I could probably do with upgrading the other bike now and trickling the other components down...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    OK, so forgetting the whole n+1 thing, I need some help in deciding what to do with my bike...

I'm no newbie, however, I am no fanatic no the bike either... I love riding, but my cycling has been sporadic over the last 4/5 years because of injuries...

I own a Kuota Kharma, and have done for about 6 years now. I've upgraded the saddle and the wheels to Mavic Cosmic elites, but apart from that, the bike is pretty much stock, and in excellent nic... I am now getting back into my riding again and heading to the alps in a few week's time.

Ive been thinking about upgrading my groupset to Ultegra from the stock 105, but more recently have been thinking about upgrading my rear cassette to an 11-32 (which obviously will mean a new rear mech and chain etc.)... All these upgrades would probably set me back about £1000k

So, Ive also been looking at the new Kuota Kougar http://www.kuotacycle.it/gb-en/content/kougar-2017

This new will be about £2400... with of course the spec I want...

So, do I upgrade or buy new... ?????

Not sure where you got the £1000 figure for the upgrade unless you are talking Ultegra 8000. CRC are offering Ultegra 6800 with medium cage rear mech and 11-32 cassette for £530.

If it were me I'd upgrade your Kuota Kharma.

Not sure I'm a fan of the Kougar you posted the link to. Main quibble is the integrated brake calipers, particularly the rear. I've heard about lots of issues with these rear integrated brakes. I believe that some manufacturers have abandoned them in favour of a conventional seat stay mounting
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    arlowood wrote:
    Not sure I'm a fan of the Kougar you posted the link to. Main quibble is the integrated brake calipers, particularly the rear. I've heard about lots of issues with these rear integrated brakes. I believe that some manufacturers have abandoned them in favour of a conventional seat stay mounting

Couldn't agree more. Not only is the rear brake under the BB a pain in the backside to set up, it is also not very responsive unless you have it set very tight to the rim, which with wheel flex, means occassionally binding and makes it difficult to release 25mm wheels and the brakes on the Kougar are Tektro which are sh1te.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    What do you expect the Ultegra to give you that the 105 doesnt? I suspect if the only issue is the cassette size you could get a 105 mech and cassette for circa £100. I think you just want a shiny new bike :-)
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    cld531c wrote:
    What do you expect the Ultegra to give you that the 105 doesnt? I suspect if the only issue is the cassette size you could get a 105 mech and cassette for circa £100. I think you just want a shiny new bike :-)

Was about to ask the same.

Like previously said, Ultegra can be had for close to £500. Will save you a couple of hundred grams over 105 and work in much the same way. The times I've used it, can't notice the difference between it and 105 (or new Tiagra).

If you are chasing grams, you could save more but changing your wheels for some Zonda's....and it'd be £200 cheaper than an Ultegra groupset.
  • I'd thought that the Ultegra upgrade would be about £700 and then a couple of hundred on the rear mech/cassette upgrade...

Great advice on the New Kougar. Of course I'd love the new bike, however, I'm thinking that saving the money and upgrading my kharma is perhaps the more sensible option...

It might be just my 105 setup, but Ive ridden a few hire bikes, overseas, that have had Ultegra, and Ive always found the switching a lot smoother and less clunky than mine...????

Anyway, I think it is an upgrade for moi... Thx of the help folks...
  • You've said it's a 6 year old bike so I assume you're going from older 10-speed 105 to 11-speed Ultegra, then yes you will notice the difference. The shifting is so much smoother so it'd be quite a good upgrade. It'll feel like a fresh new bike.
  • You've said it's a 6 year old bike so I assume you're going from older 10-speed 105 to 11-speed Ultegra, then yes you will notice the difference. The shifting is so much smoother so it'd be quite a good upgrade. It'll feel like a fresh new bike.

Yep, 10 speed on my 105... and I'm hoping you're right...

Thx again all