Help please! 9 speed cassette on new 10/11 speed wheel??

adskis
adskis Posts: 85
edited August 2017 in The workshop
Will it work?

I am running 9 speed setup on my commuter bike and the rear wheel is knackered.
I have found a reasonably tough looking 32h wheelset online and it looks okay.
Only thing is the ad says 10/11 speed freehub.

So the question is, can I transfer my 9 speed cassette onto the new 10/11 speed freehub wheel?
Do I need spacers or something?
Please help.

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    yes but you'll need a spacer; one usually comes with the wheel but not always
  • as per above, you will need to get a spacer.

I did exactly the same (without realising it) and couldn't understand the cassette having such back and forth whip in it and rattling so much. eventually had a moment of clarity, asked a few questions and hey presto a spacer (approx 1.5 mm iirc - but yours may be different) was bought for less that a fiver, fitted in 10 minutes, derailleur adjusted to suit the slightly adjusted casette alignment, and I was mobile without rattle and backlash.

good luck with the new wheel.

Pete
  • ^

I did the same inadvertently when swapping wheels, never really noticed problems with the shifting other than what felt like a bit of cable stretch. The LBS fitted a spaces for free when repairing a spoke, the guy was astonished the shifting worked at all. I thought that was a bit dramatic, but I guess it has been noticeably better since (although that also coincides with new cables).
  • adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I shifted this thread over to the roadie section to broaden the hive-mind

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13083414

It's a lot more complicated than I realised.
    Got the new wheels though and all sorted now (with relevant 1.85mm spacer.