Rake on your bike.

jimi84
jimi84 Posts: 22
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
So..
ive talked to a few full sus owners and watched numerous videos on full sus set up and quite a lot of the set up the rear sus so the back of the bike sits lower than the front (rake)
I was wondering if anyone has come across this on a hard tail? especially now with 650b and 29ers if you sling a larger wheel upfont.
I do see drawbacks cost being the main one as youll need wheel, tyre,fork to make this happen but, i just wondered if anyone has seen it, done it, heard of it?.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't think so. The only way to lower the back end would be to install a shorter shock, or run huge amounts of sag. Both of which would be silly.

There is a tendency on new bikes to have lower BBs, short chainstays and a longer cockpit, with a slacker front end, but that's part of the design, nothing to do with setting up the suspension.
    As for odd wheels, Google 69er (probably not from your work computer). People have been doing it for years. It's a bit of a rubbish idea.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    69ers usually use rigid forks with no suspension correction so the front end stays at about the same height.

People have been fitting circa 20mm longer forks to slacken bikes out a bit for years.

I have a shorter shock on the rear of mine, it works fine as it was designed to run 100 or 120mm travel so I've used the 100 slot with the shorter shock so at full bump the wheel is in the same place as it would be at full bump in 120mm travel mode, it dropped the BB and slackened the head angle so the numbers were pretty much the same as an Anthem, so hardly radical.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Not quite the same as "set up the rear sus so the back of the bike sits lower than the front" though.

Trek's 69er was designed with suspension forks.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -09-32742/

Although as a SS with DUC forks it was just stupid.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -08-20245/
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Specialized did a Demo 8 DH rig with 24" rear wheel 26" front(46er?)...that too was a rubbish idea.
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    Not quite the same as "set up the rear sus so the back of the bike sits lower than the front" though.
    I'd say it was exactly that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Er no. Whacking on a bigger front wheel is not the same as lowering the rear, although it may, or may not have a similar effect. The rear stays the same.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Erm, correct, but the bit quoted never mentions a bigger front wheel, and I did indeed setup the rear suspension to lower the rear.
  • OP was talking about changing a hardtail......
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Specialized did a Demo 8 DH rig with 24" rear wheel 26" front(46er?)...that too was a rubbish idea.

That was the Big Hit, not Demo. Other than poor tyre availability it wasn't too bad. Rear wheels were bomb proof. Bit of a tendency to hang up on rocks but you'd never break a rear wheel no matter how badly you cased a jump.
  • The Rookie
    OP was talking about changing a hardtail......
    Amazing, I read that as well, I still fail to see any thing wrong in my responding to that where he started with how FS bikes are modified expekianing I'd done the same, perhaps you can explain how that was wrong?
  • cooldad
    OP seems to have lost interest anyway...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools