Rim brakes with mudguards on a single speed

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited August 2017 in The workshop
Hi

This is potentially a very stupid question but I am no stranger to those on this forum. Basically I am having difficulty getting mudguards and brakes set up on my single speed commuter.

Due to the way the mudguards attach to the frame (between the chain stays) the smallish bolts protrude about 2-3mm so I can't get the wheel (with a 25mm tyre) deep into the arch of the guards. To avoid this I have to have what appears to be an extra link in the chain so the hub axle is right at the bank of the dropout to get sufficient chain tension. However my calipers then don't hit the rim perfectly and this run against the tyre.

So in summary my chain is either too short (wheels rub against bolts on the guards) or too long. I think I am changing the chain length ok-one "inner" bit (with the roller and bushing etc) with a pair of "outer" plates but that is taking quite a lot of length from the chain hence my problem.

I am in summary really confused (and probably stupid) but I can't get the brakes any lower in the calipers (apart from filing some of the hole down) and I cant see how to shorten the chain by any less than what I am doing.

Can anyone please help

Thanks
Tim

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Can you remove the mudguard bolts and trim them ?