Groupset upgrade

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I've got a pretty standard groupset on my existing cannondale comprising of a sunrace cassette and shimano alivio chain/cranks/shifters and derailleur. I've had the bike a couple of years and tend to ride single track, but fairly hard.

I've had the gears adjusted once when the bike was serviced and tweak it occasionally myself. However, they just don't seem particularly good. They slip, clunk and generally make steep hill climbs a bit of a nightmare.

I'm considering the option of swapping it out for a 1x11 groupset. Just wondered on peoples experience of changing groupsets and whether its a worthwhile upgrade!

Thanks
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Whatever is causing the slipping and clunking is either wear or setup and just as sufferable on high end parts as mid range.

High end parts will give a nicer shift feel, lighter weight and a little more durability, but can still slip and clunk if not set up right.

That said chain reaction have some pretty good offers on SLX 1x10 and that would give you a full suite of new parts, decent weight saving and nicer shifter feel, I wouldn't bother with 11 speed, marginal gain for a lot of money (or decent gain for a hell of a lot of money if you go to Eagle with a new rear wheel as well).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.