new direct drive smart trainer

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking for some suggestions on a new direct drive - smart, turbo trainer. Budget is around £600 so the wahoo kikr smart is out, but tacx flux looks good or a cheaper Elite Turbo Muin II? Using mostly with Zwift.

Welcome any recommendations.

Thanks

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've recently got the Tacx Flux and I'm very happy with it.
    Not too noisy, has plenty of resistance and is overall pretty good.

Just make sure you check that the serial number starts with 8617 or higher as the 8616 one have issues.
  • chatlow
    thanks for the input. Just realised the cheaper elite turbo muin isn't a smart trainer. Should have realised that when seeing the price
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    My advice is to save up the extra and get the tacx neo.

Having had/tried both the kickr 2 and kickr snap and the tacx flux, the neo is by far and away the best turbo trainer on the market.

Another shout could be the new elite direto when it is released.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Factory refurbished Wahoo Kickr £650 incl carriage and 11sp (or10sp) cassette.

http://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/orig ... efurbished

I bought one in November and as far as I could tell it was brand new. Brilliant big of kit.
  • chatlow
    proto wrote:
    Factory refurbished Wahoo Kickr £650 incl carriage and 11sp (or10sp) cassette.

http://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/orig ... efurbished

I bought one in November and as far as I could tell it was brand new. Brilliant big of kit.

ah, that's a good find. really wanted new, but very tempted by this especially as directly from wahoo too.

thanks
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Is there a time of year when trainers tend to go on sale? Instinct tells me it isn't now, more likely to be towards the end of winter as people are thinking about getting back on the road. Not the end of summer as people are beginning to think about getting on to their trainers. I'd love to get one, but prices are steep.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I snagged a Turbo Muin 2 a few weeks back from Wiggle. As you note, it isn't a smart trainer out of the box, but you can add the Misuro B+ sensor for another 30/40 quid and get reasonably* good power figures for training purposes. It's a nice solid, quiet unit, and available at £250. It doesn't have an Erg mode or variable resistance, so it's not an option if that's something you want. Would leave enough budget to maybe get yourself a bike mounted power meter.

Personally, I'm not that bothered that it doesn't vary resistance automatically. I have tried trainers that do, and I can't say I found it a particularly compelling feature.

*As with most smart trainers, the figures seem reasonable and are at least consistent. I found that it read quite high relative to my power 2 Max and my mates SRM. Tracking speed isn't great, either.
  • fuel2000
    fuel2000 Posts: 65
    I managed to bag an Elite Kura from Acycles last month for £380! It's excellent,doesn't change resistance automatically,but does have an extremely accurate power meter,which in my eyes is more important.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    fuel2000 wrote:
    I managed to bag an Elite Kura from Acycles last month for £380! It's excellent,doesn't change resistance automatically,but does have an extremely accurate power meter,which in my eyes is more important.

Also got the Kura using with Zwift and TrainerRoad. I may though upgrade to the Elite Direto when it's released in September. The Kura though has the advantage of not requiring any mains power to work so can be used outdoors.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.