Frame size advice for first road bike

daccg
daccg Posts: 7
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Dear all,

I'm opening the thread because I'm unsure which frame size I should get on my first road bike. A bit about me first: I currently commute to work on a Ridgeback hybrid (which I measured it yesterday and it's a 53 cm). I ride 38 km each day and I'm really starting to get the cycling bug so I'd like to upgrade my bike to a road one. Now the problem I've got is that I'm between two 'recommended' frame sizes: 51 cm and 53 cm. I'm 172 cm tall (just a tad over 5 ft 7 in) and inseam leg of around 81 cm (31 inch). I test rode the 53 cm one yesterday and it was alright, however, I'm unsure if I'm stretching too much because I'm not used to a road bike position. I will be testing the 51 cm in a couple days but I feel like I'm probably going to be unsure on which one to get. Lastly, the bike will be used mostly for commuting (when dry; I'll keep my hybrid for wet days)) and training but would like to take part in some amateur cycling events in the future (Ride London, etc.) plus joining the local club.

I would like to read some advice from someone who has been in a similar situation before and what tips they might have for me please!

Thanks and looking forward to your replies.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The general consensus is that if you are between frame sizes (like you are) then go for the smaller one as it is easier making a slightly smaller frame fit a slightly bigger person than the other war around.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Ideally you could try both sizes and see how they feel. Failing that you want to at least sit on them.

If these are not possible, then you should use "stack" and "reach" figures to give you a comparison as you can then adjust stem and saddle height to get the ideal fit.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    OP Your method of sizing is out of date. Different slope on top tubes makes it pretty much impossible to compare one bike to another.

Stack and reach isn't a bad way to compare between bikes.

If you are in-between two sizes on a particular bike you sometimes cannot simplify the argument down to picking one or the other (although general concensus is to go with the smaller one). The proper thing to do would be to find another bike which you are not in-between sizes on.