Which bike?

yiannism
yiannism Posts: 345
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I am currently owner of an orbea Avant H30 (alu with carbon fork and 105 groupset), a great bike for the money that ive spend but i am looking for an upgrade.

The main use of the bike will be long rides with lots of climbing on not so good roads. I have also a disc hernia so the comfort is an essential. I did a research and my short list is the below. My budget is max 2000 euros, but i would prefer to stay below.

Orbea Avant M30, is essentially the carbon version of my current bike. I can have it for 1600

Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 on around the same price.

Specialized Roubaix Elite for 2000

Bianchi intenso 105 for around 1900

Trek domane 105 uknown price for now.

I am leaning for the cannondale but i would like a second opinion. By the way the only bike that i was able to test its the bianchi. The others i cant. Also are those bikes real upgrade from my current? or it doesnt worth it?

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Fit is obviously going to be key so you going to have to replicate the fit you have on the Orbea - assuming a good fit - to the other bikes. I would look at the stack and reach figures to compare between the Orbea and the other bikes - I assume the Orbea M 30 will have a predictable fit. A quick check shows that the Cannondale has a similar stack/reach to the Orbea so I don't think it is going to be far off. As to whether the upgrade is worth it or not, that is an entirely subjective notion, although for what it is worth I would say it was for me.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I'm a big fan of the Cannondale personally, and that seems to be a pretty good price you can nab it for.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • yiannism
    letap73 wrote:
    Fit is obviously going to be key so you going to have to replicate the fit you have on the Orbea - assuming a good fit - to the other bikes. I would look at the stack and reach figures to compare between the Orbea and the other bikes - I assume the Orbea M 30 will have a predictable fit. A quick check shows that the Cannondale has a similar stack/reach to the Orbea so I don't think it is going to be far off. As to whether the upgrade is worth it or not, that is an entirely subjective notion, although for what it is worth I would say it was for me.

Thanks for your reply, yes, i feel very comfortable on my Orbea, and took away my hesitation to jump on the road bike after some years as an MTBiker. What i am expecting from the new bike is an easier climbing (less weight) some more comfort and a better handling. I am not racing, its all about the joy of cycling, and be able to stay on the saddle more time.
  • yiannism
    Can someone help me with the bike sizing of cannondale? i cant find anything. I am 180cm with 81cm inseam
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    What size is your current bike? Because you say the fit on this is good you should be looking to replicate it, the best way is to compare the geometry charts and get the 'Dale with the closest stack and reach to your current bike.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Cube Attain Disc. Comfortable geo, full 105 group with hydro discs - perfect for those descents after you've done the climbs!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I have the Domane SLR 6 disc so not quite the model you're looking at but the comfort is amazing and better than the Roubaix - I test rode both then coincidentally ended up with a roubaix for 2 weeks in Spain as a hire bike. My winter bike is the Synapse 105 aluminium disc, which is great although the mechanical discs are no match for hydraulic and to be honest, you may as well have rim brakes.

One thing to note is that the geometry of the Domane is a bit more upright than the other models. This suits me but if you want something a bit racier, then I'd look elsewhere. The Canyon Endurace looked like superb value for money but was a bit to "@rse up, head down" for me.
  • yiannism
    birdie23 wrote:
    What size is your current bike? Because you say the fit on this is good you should be looking to replicate it, the best way is to compare the geometry charts and get the 'Dale with the closest stack and reach to your current bike.

Its 53, but even i feel good on it my friends saying that is looking small for me. I guess that 55 would be better since ive lost around 10kg from the time that i bought it and my back is much more flexible. My problem is that dont trust the retailer. I cant test drive the bike and he will bring it if i order it. He has great prices but not good service. He is like the supermarket of bicycles. Ghost, Merida, Cannondale, some other unknown cheap brands.

Trek is out of my list since the price is 2000

I can have the Orbea for 1250Eu and its a good store. Good support too, i have no complains at all from them. They even serviced my MTB on cheap and i didnt bought from them. The same store sales also without having it in stock the Roubaix for 1900, so i guess that is out my list too.

Canyon was the 1st bike that ive checked, but the shipping here is around 370 eu. Its not worth it.

The Bianchi the price drop on 1500. The retailer is an old Cyprus cycling champion and very established retailer here. He sold more XR4 in Cyprus than the Bianchi Greece, and we have only 1/10 of the population.

Disc breaks even if i love them on my MTB given the fact that Cyprus is very dry country i can live without them. Plus the nearest retailer is 60km away of me.

All in all the best value for money and the safest choice is the Orbea with the Bianchi coming 2nd.