Groupset Swapping

dannbodge
dannbodge Posts: 1,152
edited August 2017 in Workshop
I've got a Specialized Tarmac SL4 (2017) with 105 5800 fitted.

I've been offered a new Ultegra 6800 groupset for a good price so I'm looking at upgrading (after selling the 105 taken off and a couple of other bits I'll be quids in)

My current groupset is only 6 months old and done around 1500 miles.

Should I be looking at changing the cables at the same time as the rest of the groupset as I will be fitting new STI levers.

I'm okay with changing all the parts over but the internal cabling sounds like a pain/ the only bit I'm worried about doing.

Comments

• 5800 and 6800 shifters are IDENTICAL .only materials change. by the way you will have to remove the internal cables in order to install them on the new shifters.
  • dannbodge
    I've just looked at changing the shifters and seen you have to take the cables out to begin with :|

Yeah they are but the 6800 ones have Ultegra written on them and are lighter :)

So next question. Which cables do I need.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Dannbodge wrote:

Use your existing ones.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Use your existing ones.

I'd get new inners just for ease of getting them though the outers. The old ones might fray. Just ask the local bike shop for 2 shimano brake + gear cables. Probably under a tenner
  • dannbodge
    Luckily because the groupset I'm getting is brand new it actually comes with cables with the STI levers.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Keep the 105 stuff and use it to build up a winter bike?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dannbodge
    I'll either be selling it on, or building up the wife a bike and selling her tiagra groupset.