Fork Upgrade help

NightKnight
NightKnight Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I just recently purchased a GT Avalanche comp 2017 and wanted to upgrade my Suntour forks. I saw there was a Suntour upgrade program available and decided to do it.

Upon looking at the frame of my bicycle and the specs online I assumed my bike was tapered as it appears I have a tapered frame on my Avalanche Comp. However, upon receiving the fork I uninstalled the headset and saw that the current fork was a 1 1/8 straight.

I tried putting the new fork into my bicycle and it seems to fit fine (picture link at bottom).

I am just wondering if it would be better to send back the ‘tapered’ fork for the 1 1/8 or if I could purchase a new headset and get it all installed?

The cost to send back and receive 1 1/8 would be about $50 at least. I am wondering if I just need a few parts or a whole new headset? what would be the better option? If a new headset is needed what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Photos:
http://imgur.com/a/OM5Hp

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It looks like a tapered frame was fitted with a non tapered fork, so the tapered fork will work fine in it.

What we can't see is what you've done with the headset, so impossible to comment if it's fine or not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I'd imagine you'd need a new headset or partial headset but impossible to say.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    you'd just need a new lower headset cup fitted for a tapered fork. the link to the picture doesn't work for me.

unless there is a tapered headset already fitted and GT put a crown race reducer on so the straight steerer fork would work on the bike.
  • Did you get this sorted? I have the same thing. GT Avalanche comp 2018 with tapered frame but straight Suntour XCM forks that I would like to swap out for tapered RockShox forks.