Orbea Orca M30 2017 - anyone got one?

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Orca-M30-2017-Road-Bike_95673.htm

Anyone have any experience with these?

Test rode the Orca and a Giant TCR Advanced 1 - feels more comfortable but less stiff than the Giant. It's also 8.7kg without pedals!

Slightly concerned that the frameset is quite heavy.

Comments

• scott5
    scott5 Posts: 83
    I have an orca, I find it a comfortable bike and good enough for what I through at it.
  • Ade83
    Ade83 Posts: 7
    I was going to post exactly the same question.

I picked up the M30 (53 frame) and thought it felt on the heavy side.

I couldn't find any weight specifications online so emailed Cycle surgery who said the weight for the M30 was just under 8kg. Think that might be a tad optimistic! Did you weigh the bike yourself?
  • alihisgreat
    Ade83 wrote:

I couldn't find any weight specifications online so emailed Cycle surgery who said the weight for the M30 was just under 8kg. Think that might be a tad optimistic! Did you weigh the bike yourself?

Test rode one with cycle surgery, asked the mechanic to weigh it. 8.7kg without pedals or cages (it did have a security tag on in though so that's probably worth 10g!)

I also found this French review which quotes the weight as just under 8.7kg for what looks like a small size: http://www.velochannel.com/essai-orbea-orca-m30-24015

More tempted by a Caad12 105 at 8.1kg for a 54 (so a little more for 56cm, my size) or a Canyon CF SL 7.0 which stretches the budget but won't require upgrades straight away and comes in under 8kg.

Its a shame as the Orca seemed good value at first glance given some of the discounts available at the moment.
  • Ade83
    Ade83 wrote:

Test rode one with cycle surgery, asked the mechanic to weigh it. 8.7kg without pedals or cages (it did have a security tag on in though so that's probably worth 10g!)

I also found this French review which quotes the weight as just under 8.7kg for what looks like a small size: [url]<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.velochannel.com/essai-orbea-orca-m30-24015</span>[/url]

More tempted by a Caad12 105 at 8.1kg for a 54 (so a little more for 56cm, my size) or a Canyon CF SL 7.0 which stretches the budget but won't require upgrades straight away and comes in under 8kg.

Its a shame as the Orca seemed good value at first glance given some of the discounts available at the moment.

Yeah it's a pity the weight lets it down. It was up for £999 at cycle surgery which seems a steal on paper.

Out of interest, have you ruled out the TCR advanced 1? Did you get a weight for it as a comparison?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    TCR Advance 1 is 7.6kg medium frame
  • alihisgreat
    Ade83 wrote:
    Yeah it's a pity the weight lets it down. It was up for £999 at cycle surgery which seems a steal on paper.

Out of interest, have you ruled out the TCR advanced 1? Did you get a weight for it as a comparison?

I like how the BB feels rock solid, but its quite long and low (i'd rather go somewhere half way between the stack of the Orbea and the TCR) and the colour doesn't do it for me, so its a no!

Plus i'd still want to spend £250 on wheels straight away which pushes it out of budget.

Still more likely to buy the Orbea tbh.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I wouldn't be overly worried about the weight.
    I've recently sold a 6.5kg bike and now ride an 8.5kg bike. There's not a massive amount of difference between my speeds, the one main difference is the comfort. I'm not as young as I used to be!
    I've not took the new bike to the mountains yet, but I've not really noticed the bike being a lot slower up hill, it might be a tad slower, but strava doesn't really show huge differences.
    Can you get a decent 30 mile test ride? One of the bonus's of my LBS is being able to test ride a bike for a decent ride.
  • Ade83
    w00dster wrote:
    I wouldn't be overly worried about the weight.
    I've recently sold a 6.5kg bike and now ride an 8.5kg bike. There's not a massive amount of difference between my speeds, the one main difference is the comfort. I'm not as young as I used to be!
    I've not took the new bike to the mountains yet, but I've not really noticed the bike being a lot slower up hill, it might be a tad slower, but strava doesn't really show huge differences.
    Can you get a decent 30 mile test ride? One of the bonus's of my LBS is being able to test ride a bike for a decent ride.

Unfortunately Cycle surgery said I had to travel to lee valley velopark in London in order to test ride the orca M30 so I have effectively ruled it out, It's a 3 hour round trip for me.
  • alihisgreat
    35762118133_a60d484c4a_c.jpg

Well I bought one. For £949.50 i'm not sure there is anything better out there.

Swapped the saddle out, and will try and pick up some fulcrum racing quattro and nicer tyres in the end of season sales. Other than that it's good to go!