Clothing Advice

domd86x
domd86x Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in Road beginners
Hello,

I recently got into riding my road bike on weekly basis. At times, I ride 2-3 days and average at least once. My rides are usually 15-20 miles. I am on the bike 45-60 min.

I have sensitive skin that gets irritated rather quickly (eczema & dermatitis). On top of that, I sweat a lot and I am in humid florida.

With that said, I would appreciate some advice from people that may suffer from the same skin issues. What clothing do you get? What brand ? Where?

Thank You,
D

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    I'd suggest a well-fitting pair of bib shorts (that should be worn 'commando') - the bib-style holds the pad in-place which prevents chaffing and is absorbent. Make sure you wash it after each ride - don't use fabric softener with cycle clothing.

Also a cycle-jersey (rather than a t-shirt) as this will wick sweat & moisture away from your skin - a t-shirt will merely soak-up sweat & stay wet.

With the distances your doing, this hardly yet merits the use of chamois cream, but on longer rides this can help as it reduces chaffing and usually has anti-bacterial qualities.

Ideally have at least two sets of clothing as one can be in the wash, while the next set is worn.

As for brands - it may well depend on your budget & availability in the USA, but Assos, Santini or Wiggles DHB brands get good reviews.
    Cycling weakly
  • Some of the "climbers" jerseys out there are super light and designed wick moisture away quicker, but any cycling specific summer jersey with full length zip will do the trick. Pair it with a mesh base layer if you like. Buy a quality pair of bib shorts - don't scrimp here - and wash them in a detergent that is designed for sensitive skin.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    domd86x wrote:
    Hello,

I recently got into riding my road bike on weekly basis. At times, I ride 2-3 days and average at least once. My rides are usually 15-20 miles. I am on the bike 45-60 min.

I have sensitive skin that gets irritated rather quickly (eczema & dermatitis). On top of that, I sweat a lot and I am in humid florida.

With that said, I would appreciate some advice from people that may suffer from the same skin issues. What clothing do you get? What brand ? Where?

Thank You,
    D

Hi there.

It's a tricky one. Not sure there's much of a solution really. In my limited experience the issue is not really the sweat, but the salt it leaves behind once it's evaporated.

Main thing I would suggest is kit that blocks the sun, since I find sunburn/tanning etc makes that kind of skin condition much worse.

So go for something that blocks the sun out (even arms covers..) but is designed to keep you cool.