Tools for replacing Press fit BB and Hub bearings

HenryTheHoover
HenryTheHoover Posts: 126
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
I have a 2015 Giant Anthem with a borked BB. Giant's spec list simply states "Shimano press fit". I swapped the current BB from a large to medium sized frame by carefully trying to tap it out of one frame and into the other. However I have only got a couple of hundred miles since the change so am thinking I need the right tools for the job this time.

I also am getting near to requiring to change the cartridge bearings in the front wheel hub and that has got me thinking about how long it will be before the frame bearings / bushings might need replacing.

After a fair bit of googling I am still a bit confused as to what I need or should spend. ( most of the tools seem a bit pricey ). I don't want to get a bag full of expensive tools for the three jobs only to find a couple of tools can cover everything.

The BB is the absolute priority because I am off the road ( or off the off road ) until it's sorted.

So basically can anyone recommend some tools for the job/s

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Something like this would be a good idea to have

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... prod155423

Not sure on your wheels as cartridge bearings should be easy to knock out and replace I know my hope pro 2's are same size socket works to tap them back in with a very light smear of grease on the outside edge, make sure you get stainless steel bearings for your wheels
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not had a pressfit BB, but the wheels I've had I've always managed with careful use of normal workshop tolls (hammer, screwdrivers of various sizes and some pieces of wood shaped and used as drifts or sockets as appropriate).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.