Jockey wheels compatability

shimanobottombracket
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Purchased these:

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/shimano-po ... 35997578/p

Not been fitted because they took a while to arrive, and I since used good condition jockys off an old bike. However I have reason to suspect the compatibility list shown on that link. My derailer is a 3500, but on the back of the package for my jockey wheels, the 3500 isnt listed (3400 is). I also used that list to compare compatibility with the old jockey wheels I removed from an old bike.

Are there any incompatibilities of RD5700 jockey wheels with regards to a 3500 derailer? I replaced a new chain and cassette when I replaced the jockey wheels and the bicycle now runs like shit. Everything spins freely and the gear changing is perfect, but a rumbling feeling when pedalling. It manifests in multiple gears and chainrings. I seriously doubt jockey wheels can do that but does make me question it.

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Have you installed the jockey wheels correctly? The G-pulley should be closest to the cassette (upper position) and the tension pulley on the lower of the derailleur cage. Also, they can be noisy (due to shaping of the teeth) if not installed in the correct direction- there's a direction arrow on the jockey wheel showing direction of travel when pedaling.
    Another possibility if it's very rough, is that the chain has been installed wrongly through the derailleur cage and is passing over the lug not under it.
  • jermas wrote:
    Have you installed the jockey wheels correctly? The G-pulley should be closest to the cassette (upper position) and the tension pulley on the lower of the derailleur cage. Also, they can be noisy (due to shaping of the teeth) if not installed in the correct direction- there's a direction arrow on the jockey wheel showing direction of travel when pedaling.
    Another possibility if it's very rough, is that the chain has been installed wrongly through the derailleur cage and is passing over the lug not under it.

Double checked all that. The tension pulley is on the bottom. This one has a direction arrow on it, installed accordingly. I also noticed this pulley doesnt have "shaped teeth" like the equivalent jockey wheel on my new set does. The top one has no shaped teeth and no orientation. I think it says G pulley on it, which I believe mean its the guide pulley. I also checked its clearance with the cassette, seems fine.

I have accidentally installed a chain over the derailer lug in the past, that one is immediately obvious. Its a HG 53 9 speed chain with no apparent orientation. I have read that the newer 10 speed shimano chains do have to be installed a certain way.
  • It was a chain problem. I swapped the new HG53 chain (about 30 miles ridden tops) with a HG93 chain. There is much less rumbling. Why the **** would a new chain be so terrible!
  • I believe my question is pretty much in the topic of pulley wheels compatibility therefore I try to post a question here rather than creating an entirely new thread. I also struggle with a purchase of new pulley wheels for my Dura Ace fd-7402. I can see that on the cage there is an engraved information - Centeron G Pulley. Does it mean that my derailleur is only compatibly with Centeron G- Pulley wheels or can I also purchase aftermarket pulley wheels? Thank you for your help.