Orbea Orca vs Avant

Saldawop
Saldawop Posts: 64
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Getting the Avant

Comments

• Saldawop
    Should add, I am 51 and have been looking at bikes for a few weeks and have predominately been looking at endurance bikes such as the Synapse, Defy Advanced etc. Was just surprised at how little the difference between the Orca and Avant comfort wise, although saying that the test rides were not long so perhaps that would only be apparent over longer distances?
  • Afternoon

I've stumbled across these 2 bikes and have the same dilemna as you. I love the look of both but want something comfortable and future proof. I like the idea of disc as winter riding descents with rim brakes aren't fun. Hopefully going to take a look at both next week at Cycle Surgery in Exeter to get a feel and see what frame size would suit me best. I'm 6ft 1 so I'm guessing a 57cm would be best. Let me know what you decide
  • Saldawop
    Same size as me. 6ft 1 with 34 inseam (trouser length at least) its close between the 55 and 57
    55 felt better on Avant, 57 on Orca. How does that work?
  • So you've chosen the Avant. Which model and what convinced you????? Hoping looking at one this week
  • Saldawop
    Went for the M20 Team version. £1599 from cycle surgery. Test rode the Orca, too sporty. Synapse, was nice enough, didn't like the paint!
    Rode the M20 and it just felt right, seemed to be a perfect fit. Comfortable, like the paintwork, liked the fact it had ultegra groupset, hydraulic brakes with thru axles( though have never been bothered by riding a bike with rim brakes) . Read on here someone complaining they were heavy. I don't know how much it weighs but it is certainly light to me. I am no expert on bikes and could possibly have bought better, I don't know? Definitely worth looking at in my admittedly not very knowledgeable opinion.
  • Saldawop wrote:
    Went for the M20 Team version. £1599 from cycle surgery. Test rode the Orca, too sporty. Synapse, was nice enough, didn't like the paint!
    Rode the M20 and it just felt right, seemed to be a perfect fit. Comfortable, like the paintwork, liked the fact it had ultegra groupset, hydraulic brakes with thru axles( though have never been bothered by riding a bike with rim brakes) . Read on here someone complaining they were heavy. I don't know how much it weighs but it is certainly light to me. I am no expert on bikes and could possibly have bought better, I don't know? Definitely worth looking at in my admittedly not very knowledgeable opinion.

Just back from Cycle Surgery myself and saw the M20 but not in my size.(I need a 57) Loved the spec of the bike, but didn't fall in love with the blue paintwork which is a shame because it's a cracking bike. I also saw the di2 version and would be tempted but it's just out of my price range. Glad your search is over, unfortunately mine still continues!!!!