crank wobble

jimi84
jimi84 Posts: 22
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
On the bike I have there is a race face crank 1by and it is wobble I tighin all there cranks.ened the allan bolt on the drive side (wobbly side) but I'm unsure if the bolt is the correct one, as on the other side the bolt sits flush to the face of the pedal arm.
There seems to be a thread inside of the drive side but the allan bolt that's there sits deep in the hole.
does anyone have any info to put my way, do race face use the same bolts I

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think your post got a bit confused, but the set I have yes.

Whether they are the same as yours, no way to tell.

Raceface have been making cranks for a very long time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimi84
    I did not proof read that, gibberish.
    I have tightened the crank bolt, hand tight and the drive side tightened but after a quick test ride it's wobbly again (only drive side) any ideas what the cause is??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not doing the bolt up properly, hand tight isn't tight enough. Also once the arm comes loose it wears, it then moves and undoes the bolt, the only fix then is a new arm.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimi84
    By hand tight i didnt mean just nipped up with my hands, I cranked down on an allan key albeit a short one and after that it looks like elephant mans face (piece of junk).
    Anyways i have since been and purchased what seem to be quality allan keys that are a good size so i am able to really get my weight down on it to tighten the bolt up and it seems to have done the trick.
    Should these bolts be done with a torque wrench???
    Is there any way i will over tighten them??
  • The Rookie
    An Allen key is too short to torque it up properly. It's probably now borked. Allen socket on a ratchet is what you need.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimi84
    Borked???
    the allan kety i used is about 200mm long plenty of leverage.
    It seems to have got it good and tight now.
  • The Rookie
    Fair enough, 200mm would be OK.

Borked, screwed, knackered, f#*ked. If it's moving on the axle it wears the internal form and can then keep coming lose.
  • jimi84
    cheers,
    a was given the bike so there still is a chance it is borked, only time will tell