GPS Computers

Stupot07
Stupot07 Posts: 19
edited August 2017 in Road beginners
Hello,

I've been using Strava on my phone and the results have been hit and miss. I upgraded to premium so that i could use the beacon feature to put my other half's mind at rest when i go out. I've also bought a HRM and paired it. Unfortunately, i've been plagued with auto-pause issues, where strava keeps pausing and not recording my ride. Luckily i also bought a really cheap bike computer so ive managed to get my distance and time for those rides.

I'm just wondering whether its worth investing in a GPS computer, perhaps the Garmin 520 or Leyzene Super GPS? They seem to have live tracking? Are they worth it?

Think the wife will kill me if i buy anymore cycling gear :lol::lol::lol:

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Early days of use, still lots of functions to try, but so far happy with my Lezyne Super GPS.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I used strava for years on my phone with no issues. Are you sure its not you ?
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    My Android Strava does that, its pretty hit and miss. My 5 mile commute this morning was according to Strava 2 miles at 336mph. The map of my route was from where I locked the bike up to about 20 metres away, very strange.
    All I do is hit the Record button, check to make sure that the time is actually ticking, then lock the screen and put the phone in my rucksack. Used to work fine when I had an Apple phone, just not so good for me on Android.
    I would say that 50% of my commutes aren't recorded. Probably me, but I now just use my Garmin 810 and take it off the bike when I lock it up.
  • steve91
    steve91 Posts: 30
    I've never had any issues with Strava like what you're having, but I do also use a Garmin Edge Touring when out on longer rides. Nice display, and easy to use.
  • Stupot07
    w00dster wrote:
    My Android Strava does that, its pretty hit and miss. My 5 mile commute this morning was according to Strava 2 miles at 336mph. The map of my route was from where I locked the bike up to about 20 metres away, very strange.
    All I do is hit the Record button, check to make sure that the time is actually ticking, then lock the screen and put the phone in my rucksack.

Yeah, that the same as me. Turn press record, pop it into my pocket and off i ride. Really hit and miss, sometimes it records the whole ride correctly, but the majority of the time it just auto pauses on me and I either get no recording or like you say a really random recording. What android phone were you using? Mines a Samsung S7, and from a quick search it looks as thought there's a few known issues with the S7 and Strava.
  • Stupot07
    Fenix wrote:
    I used strava for years on my phone with no issues. Are you sure its not you ?

Hi, i'm pretty sure i'm not doing anything wrong, i just press record ride check that it's starting to record and off i ride.
  • Stupot07
    Early days of use, still lots of functions to try, but so far happy with my Lezyne Super GPS.

Have you used the live track feature yet?
  • Stupot07 wrote:

Have you used the live track feature yet?

No, but I presume I need a smartphone for this feature (I have a really basic Ulcool v11), or is the tracking done all on the Lezyne unit? I use the Lezyne app on my Nexus tablet, but this doesn't have a mobile sim, only wi-fi and I'm trying to ditch the weight of taking it on rides!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I use a Garmin 520 paired to my phone and use the live track/beacon feature.
    Once I had wotked out how to set it up correctly it works beautifully and is really helpful for mt OH to see when I'm going to be home
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Stupot07 wrote:
    Hello,

I've been using Strava on my phone and the results have been hit and miss. I upgraded to premium so that i could use the beacon feature to put my other half's mind at rest when i go out. I've also bought a HRM and paired it. Unfortunately, i've been plagued with auto-pause issues, where strava keeps pausing and not recording my ride. Luckily i also bought a really cheap bike computer so ive managed to get my distance and time for those rides.

I'm just wondering whether its worth investing in a GPS computer, perhaps the Garmin 520 or Leyzene Super GPS? They seem to have live tracking? Are they worth it?

Forget Garmin and go Wahoo. You've the choice of 3 current devices; the Mini, the Elemnt and the Elemnt Bolt. The Elemnt and Elemnt Bolt do exactly the same thing apart from the Elemnt has an additional set of led lights. The Bolt is a smaller screen and aero shaped. The Mini is even smaller and a basic device. It doesn't connect to power meters or have mapping.

The Elemnt series both have ANT+ and Bluetooth connection, full mapping of the entire world, black and white screen making it easily readable in bright or dark lighting, live tracking with stats and need never be plugged into a computer as they upload and download via wifi virtually instantly.

Wahoo treat the cyclist like their main client whereas Garmin treat them like an afterthought.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Zmac31
    Zmac31 Posts: 34
    Stupot07 wrote:
    Hello,

You may need to change the setting in your phone for GPS accuracy from normal to high accuracy!
  • For what it's worth I've had the Garmin 820 for 6months and got rid of it for a wahoo bolt as the software was so unstable and the touch screen unusable in the wet and cold of Scotland.

The wahoo is much easier to use both from a setup point of view and navigation. So long as you don't mind black and white screens?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    For what it's worth I've had the Garmin 820 for 6months and got rid of it for a wahoo bolt as the software was so unstable and the touch screen unusable in the wet and cold of Scotland.

The wahoo is much easier to use both from a setup point of view and navigation. So long as you don't mind black and white screens?

Had my 820 for about 2 months and got rid for the Wahoo Elemnt. I had the 705 originally, which worked great for years without issue. I bought the 810 when the 705 stopped getting updates and that was great. Until the 520 was released and Garmin piggybacked it on the same firmware as the 810 with different features and screwed the 810 up. Upgraded to the 820 and regretted it within weeks. The Wahoo approach is a breath of fresh air.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    For what it's worth I've had the Garmin 820 for 6months and got rid of it for a wahoo bolt as the software was so unstable and the touch screen unusable in the wet and cold of Scotland.

Had my 820 for about 2 months and got rid for the Wahoo Elemnt. I had the 705 originally, which worked great for years without issue. I bought the 810 when the 705 stopped getting updates and that was great. Until the 520 was released and Garmin piggybacked it on the same firmware as the 810 with different features and screwed the 810 up. Upgraded to the 820 and regretted it within weeks. The Wahoo approach is a breath of fresh air.

I never experienced the first gen wahoo but didn't hear good things and the earlier garmins were simple and robust. Now it seems like wahoo really went away and thought about the changes they needed to make and did it well. No crazy frills, stayed within the capabilities of the system and made a Garmin killer. Garmin tried to go the other way and made some crazy Swiss army knife system that was jack of all trades and master of none.

Best thing about Wahoo is the app interface, set up all your screens from your phone and pull routes straight from strava or ridewithgps without mucking about with Garmin connect.