Mountain Bike on turbo to help road cycling?

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
My mountain bike is set up for my turbo trainer. I have a spare back wheel fitted to it with a turbo tyre on it.

I plan to start training for road cycling (sportives and possibly olympic and half ironman distance triathlons). Any problem with continuing on my mountain bike for the turbo trainer? Am i losing anything vs doing it on my road bike?

I'm a little worried about putting unnecessary stress on my road bike so if i'm not losing too much by turbo training on a mountain bike i'd prefer to do that.

Any advice appreciated.
Dub
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ideally you'd have the same position as you're training for - so yours will be slightly different - but nothing really to worry about.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes - you will probably notice the different geometry will work slightly different muscles (or the same muscles in a slightly different way). I'd commute 30 miles RT on an MTB in the winter (Nov/Dec-Apr) and a road bike the warmer months and I'd always notice the transition in some minor muscles. Provided you don't rely entirely on the MTB but ride both, I doubt you'll even notice.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH