The Dutch Reach

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
edited August 2017 in Commuting chat
http://www.cleverly.me/dutch-doors/?ref=fb

"Cyclists riding on busy roads face danger from all sides, but the greatest fear most bikers have is of someone opening their car door right in front of their bike. It often leaves no chance for the cyclist to swerve out of the way and can cause serious accidents that can even be deadly.

These accidents happen frequently enough that there is even a special term for them: dooring. The driver or passenger of the car is usually at fault, but if you use this simple trick, you can easily avoid causing cyclists harm."
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    It's been mentioned on here before, unfortunately the video that was used in some of the press showed someone opening their window and reaching out to use the outside door handle. Very odd and unsurprisingly got a negative reaction from most people.
    Done properly it's a great idea, I say that having been quite badly injured by a car door. Had they used that technique I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened as they would have seen my light flashing.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've actually forced myself to take this on while getting out of the car, and the OH and kids too. Hopefully, it'll stop them, or me hurting someone.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought the post might not be safe for work?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    elbowloh wrote:
    Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought the post might not be safe for work?

giphy.gif
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    elbowloh wrote:
    I hesitated, but the lack of "around" made me press on.
    Luckily I can cycle outside the door zone on my commute, and filter right on the very short section of queueing traffic.