Reverb repair or bin?

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Rockshox Reverb. (dia 31.6mm 420mm, maybe 4 years old).

It failed a couple of years ago, sent away, but the service and service kit was going to cost £130 (TFTuned I think). No extra work or parts were mentioned on the quote. So it has just sat around since then, not done. I just saw that their website shows £85. So tempted to send it in again.

Are they 'ALL' serviceable? Or do a lot fail beyond repair? Because I have read so many posts of people getting replacements.

One issue I had was - the upper post twisted (about 1-2mm) after a knock/tumble. This was only noticeable as the saddle was slightly out. But easily tapped back with the hand. Happened 2 or 3 times.
Inside the post there are 3 grooves and alignment pins. The only way (that I can think of) that the inner post can turn, is if the pins twist out of the grooves. This would probably stretch the metal and may have been the cause for the failure. Failure happened later, it got sloppy and wouldn't hold pressure.

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    The brass pins might be worn but it would be hard to twist them out there's just not enough clearence between the two tubes
  • remedy_7
    That is what I thought. But I can't think of any other way for the movement to happen.

If that is the case, then what causes Reverbs to fail, where they can not be repaired?
  • The head of the post has become unbounded from the stanchion. Its secured with red loctite, a twisting force in a big accident can break the bond.
  • remedy_7
    I am pretty sure it was the lower section, but I will try and get the top section to move. If it is only that, then I will send it in for a service.