Do QR skewers stretch??

jimi84
jimi84 Posts: 22
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I'm not sure if my QR skewers are fecked and was wondering if there are tell tale signs.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They stretch elasticly when clamped, you won't stretch them plasticly, you'd snap the lever first.

What makes you think you have an issue?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimi84
    Bike was given as I'm skint and it's in need of tlc but when there clamped down there is a bit of side to side wobble,
    it's been a while since I owned a bike and when I did it was a fixed axle so they were solid.
  • jimi84
    Bike was given as I'm skint and it's in need of tlc but when there clamped down there is a bit of side to side wobble,
    it's been a while since I owned a bike and when I did it was a fixed axle so they were solid.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    More liky to be loose/maladjusted or worn wheel bearings
  • jimi84
    I'm a bit clueless to the mechanical side but I do like to learn, that wouldn't suprise me if it was what your saying. Can i replace a wheel bearing or is it a new wheel job.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bearings can be replaced very easily if they are worn, but more likely the cones just need adjusting to get the correct preload on the bearings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read Parktools in my sig. Very useful.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools