Rusty bolts.

jimi84
jimi84 Posts: 22
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anybody had any joy with replacing bolts to a material that doesn't rust?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, it's called stainless steel or Titanium (Ti).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimi84
    jimi84 Posts: 22
    Haha I've had stainless that rusted before just wondered if there was anything else I'll give titanium a go.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Or aluminium alloy bolt but only for non safety critical ornon streesed components.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some grades of stainless will have a light surface rust, it's normal, many grades don't rust at all, depends on the grade and intended use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    If you use A2 grade they should not rust as they are equivalent to 304 grade stainless if i remember right,it's what the company i work for uses building buses and coaches,but remember to use some grease or copper slip/grease going in to aluminium components to stop any potential electrolysis seizing them up