mud guards

crannman
crannman Posts: 99
edited July 2017 in Road general
looking for mudguards for road bike don't want the big front /rear ones looking at ass savers or something along that line any advice :D:D

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You've really got 2 choices - some sort of clip on, like race blades or the really temporary ass savers, or proper bolted on ones.

Proper ones are much better - better rain protection (they'll keep your feet dry too which makes a huge difference) and they're quiet and won't damage your bike. Race blades and the like aren't really meant to be left on your bike and unless you do something like wrap a tube round the stays you'll get marks in the paint.

The only time I'd use clipon ones is if I got caught out somewhere or had to use a specific bike - they're no alternative to proper mudguards through the winter.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • crannman
    thanks don't go out when its banging it down just want a bit of protection looking at topeak defender
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    In summer... just get wet.. at least it's clean ish

Sounds like you dont bother to ride winter though eh?
  • crannman
    JGSI wrote:
    In summer... just get wet.. at least it's clean ish

Sounds like you dont bother to ride winter though eh?
    no how wrong you are I ride in winter just not when its tipping it down been riding bikes along time just don't like full mudguards
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    In the winter I sometimes use SKS raceblade clip on set that fixes to the seat stays and the front to the fork blades, rarely bother with front tho. Id say avoid these types of guards lf you dont want any damage where the fixings contact the frame. You could prevent this by using elec tape etc. The wet and road grit will rub its way through lacquer unless protected.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will