Novatec wheels.... Any recommendations?

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Im looking at a few options of upgrading the wheels on my Boardman Team Carbon and was wondering what Novatec wheels sets are like.

The ones Im looking at are the NOVATEC JETFLY ALUMINIUM CLINCHERS listed as a training wheel but a review on Bikeradar for 2014 states they are more than a training wheel.

I can get them for £288 so wondered what else around this price is worth considering.

Regards.

Tony.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Zonda.

Now wait for all the +1's
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Zonda's are nice wheels.... until you have a problem.

Good buddy had a spoke pop on a pair of Zonda's lately, drive side rear, happened at a cafe stop when the wheel wasn't been ridden.

Evans had the wheel for 8 weeks for warranty repair, Campag's distributors just reseated the obviously damaged original spoke and tightened it up again, not a satisfactory repair, thankfully Evans (after a bit of haggling) offered him a replacement alternative wheelset.

At least (given they have conventional j bend spokes) those novatecs can be repaired by any LBS (or yourself) in a few minutes if a spoke pops, without an impossible search for the correct spoke.
  • devonboy
    devonboy Posts: 45
    I bought some Novatec CXD disc wheels for my Diverge to use as winter road wheels.They were great and are currently on my boy's bike being used with summer tyres.No issues,still tight and true.Really light,mine weighed 1473gm without discs or skewers but with tape and supplied valve.

They came tubeless ready with a range of spares including some spare spokes.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    +1 for the Jetfly's
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    TimothyW wrote:

Evans had the wheel for 8 weeks for warranty repair, Campag's distributors just reseated the obviously damaged original spoke and tightened it up again, .

Surprised Chicken Cycles did such a disappointing repair, they have a pretty good reputation... frankly it is the only reason to go Campag rather than Shimano, just to get something better than fukin Madison
    left the forum March 2023
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    TimothyW wrote:
    Zonda's are nice wheels.... until you have a problem.

Good buddy had a spoke pop on a pair of Zonda's lately, drive side rear, happened at a cafe stop when the wheel wasn't been ridden.

Evans had the wheel for 8 weeks for warranty repair, Campag's distributors just reseated the obviously damaged original spoke and tightened it up again, not a satisfactory repair, thankfully Evans (after a bit of haggling) offered him a replacement alternative wheelset.

At least (given they have conventional j bend spokes) those novatecs can be repaired by any LBS (or yourself) in a few minutes if a spoke pops, without an impossible search for the correct spoke.

The amount of people riding Zondas with no problem is very high though, and I can't think of a so highly regarded factory built wheel at the price.