Orbea Avant H30 2017 for a first road bike?

daccg
daccg Posts: 7
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone,

First, a bit about me and my situation. I currently live in SW London and commute into Central London, around 11 miles each way. I'm currently riding a Ridgeback Flight 00 2014 (hybrid). Since I started to commute everyday I've started to realise that is a bit on the heavy side. The bike itself is a great commuter but I've also caught the road cycling bug and I'm looking into getting a 'proper' road bike.

After some research and having confirmed with my employer that I can get a bike through the cycle to work scheme I've reached the conclusion that the Orbea Avant H30 2017 is great value (full Shimano 105 groupset). I also really like Orbea bikes so ticks all the boxes. However, I'm a bit concerned about the bike being a bit of an overkill for what I’m planning to use the bike for (looks like 80% of the mileage will come from commuting rather than actual sports riding). As such, my main concerns are regarding the wear and tear of the bikes’ components (a cheaper bike with cheaper components would be cheaper to maintain after all). Lastly, I would like to add that I’m thinking about taking part in some club rides and amateur cycling events (Ride London, London to Brighton Bike Ride, etc.).

Anyway, I just wanted to read your comments on this one and of course feel free to suggest other bikes (either cheaper or more expensive ones,). Also, I will be getting the bike through cycle to work so maybe it’s worth trying to get the best deal under £1,000 to make the most of it? Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Comments