24 to a 28 inner ring

Cubehead555
Cubehead555 Posts: 18
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Shimano Deore M615 10 speed chainset with 38/24 rings,I would like to change the inner ring to a 28 is it possible
or do I have to change both rings?

Just that the 24 is a bit slack and thought a 28 might give me a bit more.

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    No sure what you mean by 'slack'.
    28 should work fine and may shift easier. There will be less of a jump when you shift chainring. Your lowest gear will be higher of course, and there will be more overlap between big and little cogs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the chain is slack it's either too long or the rear mech doesn't have the right capacity.

While there are some benefits in the change, I wouldn't do it to fix a slack chain but fix the root cause. You're also going to be close that going 1x wouldn't lose you much at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I don't mean the chain is slack I mean the gear ratio is too easy with the 24,just thinking a 28 will make the pedalling a bit harder.
  • The Rookie
    Err, just select a higher gear at the back!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    I don't mean the chain is slack I mean the gear ratio is too easy with the 24,just thinking a 28 will make the pedalling a bit harder.

I can understand you feeling undergeared if you do cross-country sections, but changing the little ring will only mean you loose your lowest gear, you won't gain anything.

If you want harder gears you need :
    A smaller small sprocket on the cassette (but you may be at a minimum already - usually 11, but some freehubs take a 10 tooth ring)
    and/or
    A bigger big ring. There is a limit to the jump size between chainring sizes, so that may necessitate a bigger small ring too, and these may not fit on your crank or have clearance on the bike frame.
    or get a triple chainset (and shifter).

Edit - a 42T 1x front with a wide range cassette is probably your best bet, if you don't need the lowest gears.

Or just spin your legs faster.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Not worth the bother as you loosr lowest gear plus get more overlapping gears. If it is too easy in 24, drop down gear on vassette or use the other chain rimg.
  • The Rookie
    If it's too easy surely you need to shift UP a gear not drop down a gear!